axle spindle nut

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

thiebert

i just broke my 1/2" breaker bar trying to remove my spindly nut. I am turning left! it is ridiculously tight what could be wrong? it is the drivers side. thx guys

I've broke 2 plus 4 half inch ratchets taking one off. There are a few things you can do. If you have any freinds that have air tools, have them take it out, then tighten it back up with hand tools, drive it back to your place and have at it. You could probally even ask a guy at a shop to do that (don't ask the front desk because they will charge you up the ass. Just come with your center caps off and your axle nuts unstaked so all they have to do is stick their gun on the nut)

Other options are go to sears and buy a 3/4 inch breaker bar. You will not brake this. For the socket, go with impact grade. You can then slip a long steel bar over the end and take the nut off that way.

thanx i guess i am heading to get my 1/2" replaced and buying a 3/4" breaker bar. damn car why isn't anything ever easy

Originally posted by asmallsol@Jun 27 2005, 09:29 PM
I've broke 2 plus 4 half inch ratchets taking one off. There are a few things you can do. If you have any freinds that have air tools, have them take it out, then tighten it back up with hand tools, drive it back to your place and have at it. You could probally even ask a guy at a shop to do that (don't ask the front desk because they will charge you up the ass. Just come with your center caps off and your axle nuts unstaked so all they have to do is stick their gun on the nut)

Other options are go to sears and buy a 3/4 inch breaker bar. You will not brake this. For the socket, go with impact grade. You can then slip a long steel bar over the end and take the nut off that way.
[post=517144]Quoted post[/post]​

Although the 3/4 inch is a garrenteed way to remove it I used a 1/2 inch breaker bar with the handle from my craftsman 3 ton jack that slips over the breaker bar making it an easy 35 inches and I never have had a problem. Now I have the impact gun and don't need to do all that. :D

I like the fact that with Craftsman, it wouldn't matter if it broke- it would just get replaced for free (ahh, how I love that guarantee).

But if it's something I was taught in school, air tools and anything with bearings do mix???

Although the 3/4 inch is a garrenteed way to remove it I used a 1/2 inch breaker bar with the handle from my craftsman 3 ton jack that slips over the breaker bar making it an easy 35 inches and I never have had a problem. Now I have the impact gun and don't need to do all that. :D
[post=517189]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]

i used my crafstman 1/2 breaker bar alone on the passenger side and it came off for me. I used the breaker bar and a 4 foot pipe on the driver side and snapped the breker bar! i cant believe how tight it is. it didnt even budge at all.

Axle nut=125 ft. lbs. 2nd tightest nut on the whole car! > your breaker bar!

Originally posted by hybrid89@Jun 28 2005, 02:09 PM
Axle nut=125 ft. lbs. 2nd tightest nut on the whole car! > your breaker bar!
[post=517467]Quoted post[/post]​

What's the first (I know, off topic, sorry)

Yea, I don't own a 3/4 breaker bar. I use my half inch and it has always worked well. I snapped one craftsman, but I replaced it and it worked the second time. Long pipes own.

I think I have a big enough breaker bar, but I'm afraid of trashing something inside the transmission.

What prevents f-ing up the tranny when exerting so much force on the axle?

lol damn, someone answered crank pulley already. yeah. 1/2 inch bars like to break on both of those nuts, the 3/4, not so much. We broke 2 1/2 bars trying to get one off on my protege. moved to the 3/4 inch, a jack handle, 2 225+ guys and me and popped that thing right off.....too a little bit more to get the crank pulley off on an accord....the full jack handle, another breaker bar 3 225+ guys and then me and my buddy's dad....yeah it was crazy.

Back