B16 build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ok, take this into account. The stroker crank/rods/pistons will typically run you just over $2000 just for parts (Crower's price, not sure on Eagle's), and that doesn't include installation. With a GSR block, you would use the stock crank, and spend maybe $800-900 on pistons and rods. That leaves you with over $1000 to secure the GSR shortblock, and all you want is the bare block with the crank. You should be able to find one fairly cheap. You can probably get a few bucks back for your B16 block too.

Everything else is a wash, because it'll cost you the same for both blocks- sleeving, head work etc.

best explanation on why not to stroke a b16 ever!!!:lol:

plus if you decide to sleeve the gsr you know have a 2.0l which you will be even more happy with then spending 1g to get a 1.8

Last edited:
Yup, another good reason. Come to think of it- I have an 85.5mm GSR block that just needs cleaning up and new pistons. Throw 86mm pistons in it and you'll be right under 2.2L. Want to buy it?

I am interested but just not right now. I have to sell my car first. Its gonna be a little while before I get this up and going Im just doing research right now. But Ill keep you in mind when it comes time to find something. I think Im sold on getting the GSR block using the stock crank and forged pistons and rods.

If I go that way ill have a GSR block bored out to 86mm. What CR pistons should I run?

It all depends on what kind of gas you want to run, how often you want to be tuning this thing (maintenance), how good your tuner is, and how touchy you want the engine to be. I ran 13:1 in the last build and was fine on 93 octane, but that takes REALLY good tuning, especially in Texas heat. Most people will tell you that 13:1 is stupid in a daily driven street car, but I did it.

Your compression should also be dictated by your power goals, how much you're willing to spend on cams, what kind of power curve you're looking for etc. If you go with a really high compression ratio, you're going to have to get some really aggressive cams to take advantage of the compression ratio- and then you might lose some torque down low when the cams aren't in their sweet spot.

Up to you.

If you want to make some decent power out of a 2.0l or bigger, a compression ratio of around 12.1 to 12.5:1 is a good range for you. Not to crazy for the street and alot more forgiving and easier to tune.

Back