B16 Cranks, but won't start

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Citizen_Insane

I put all the fluids in my b16 tonight and when I went to start it it wouldn't. It will turn over like 4-5 times and then the starter gear disengages and starts to click (solenoid pushing it out and back). WTF is going on? My fuel lines are connected, I can hear my fuel pump running, and all my grounds are good. When I compression tested it it was cranking over fine (but I know...there wasn't any real compression in the cylinders). Is my SECOND starter bad?? Please help!!! I need to get this running! Thanks.

-Kai

if the starter disengages it doesnt have anything to do with the engine itself it has more to do with the starter or the wiring

If you read my sig you would find out that my car is in a 1990 CRX HF :D. I'm pretty sure the wiring is ok. The starter wiring is only 2 wires, and I KNOW they are right. What else could be causing it?

Originally posted by ktanaka@Apr 6 2004, 11:18 PM
If you read my sig you would find out that my car is in a 1990 CRX HF :D. I'm pretty sure the wiring is ok. The starter wiring is only 2 wires, and I KNOW they are right. What else could be causing it?

sorry i must have missed that :D ....

but anyways, i had the same problem when i put my b16 in my new car......

what i did was check all the plugs going into the distributer, you wanna make sure that these are all well connected, also make sure that your ecu is well pluged in....(what ECU) i dunno if you messed around with some of the wiring under that dash...also check your fuses, make sure you got the right ones in the right place...

too meeh it sounds like your not giving enough spark or spark at all to start turning the motor over...

good luck

aj

I'm running a PW0 ECU and the only thing I messed with as far as wiring went were the 4 wires for the vtec. I checked all of the engine bay fuses..but I'll check the under dash ones too just for good measure. Thanks for the help.

[edit] How do I check to make sure I'm getting spark?[/edit]

easy way, prolly not the best way, but it works

take a plug out and connect it with the plug wire, set it on top of your valve cover and just tap the key to ignition, if you got spark it will spark up, if not then you wont see anything....

or you could get a meter and see if you have power going into your distributor

ither way will work, its totally up too you......

now if this motor was a dry motor and you have spark, you might want to pour just a little bit of oil down each cylinder, what this will do is lube it up and it can get goin, i also had to do this when i put my motor in my other car.....

if you are on aim just IM at Jaydeeem1797cc

aj

Back