b16 in 90 integra HELP PLEASE!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mister_m_83

I have posted this on here before and nothing helped and im sick of not having vtec!! Ok first off its a 90 integra 4 door and i put my b16 from my 91 civic hatch in it. The motor ran in the civic everything worked great!!! Now... I used the stock harness from the integra and ran the vtec wire, the pressure switch wire, the knock sensor wire and the second o2 sensor wire. But I used the stock manifold off the integra so it only has one o2 sensor (First problem)... I dont get vtec!!!! (second problem) I have gone through the wiring like 5 times now and still nothing. I have checked the vtec solenoid to see if it works and checked the screen. Both fine. Its a pw0 and I have NO codes and i even tried my friends ecu. it idles high (third problem) I think i might know what that is but it has 2 sensors on the firewall maybe someone could help me with that. Do i just T the two together or cap one of the sensors off? My idle screw is turned all the way in and it still idles at 1500 or so.. PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME?

k, i see a few possible problems. first off your vtec solenoid needs a power wire from pin A8, and the pressure switch needs power from pin B5. the plug has a second wire that goes to a ground that's not on the body of the solenoid itself. you didn't note you added that ground, so that could be your problem. once you've got that for sure, vtec should activate, if it doesn't and there's no CEL, you've got a wiring problem or a bad solenoid. the O2's will affect drivability, and will turn on that CEL after some time, but wouldn't stop vtec from coming on unless one or both are unplugged. and please dont run both wires to the one sensor in the wrong location on your obd1 manifold, read up on this :
Tech - Closed Loop
after you learn some stuff from there, those two "sensors" on your firewall are solenoids. one is the purge for your charcoal canister and i'm pretty sure the other isn't needed for your swap. whatever the case, i'm sure someone can identify them if you make a new post about them once you get your vtec issue dealt with.

Last edited:
I did wire the ground for the pressure switch, I grounded it to the thermostat housing with the rest of those grounds and i actually unhooked both o2 sensors and still no codes or no difference for that matter. I know that the light works on my ecu cause when i unhook any other plugs it turns on.

Last edited:
and still no vtec huh? the only reason i can think of for it not coming on once you've got it wired up correctly with no CELs is oil pressure. have you checked the level of the oil lately? that pressure sensor has to see 55PSI before it'll activate vtec, how many miles are on that motor? any smoke coming out of the exhaust? you can try running a thicker oil(i.e. higher second number, such as 10w40 instead of 10w30) and see if that helps. otherwise i'd say there's some messed up wiring somewhere.

The oil level is fine and i am using synthetic rottella 10w 40 so i dont know. It really sucks i am almost thinking of selling it!!! I dont really have time to mess with it i just had a baby and kinda need something that doesnt always need to be worked on. What do you think it might be worth? 90 integra 4 door black 180,000 on body probably 65,000 on motor and a little rust around the wheel wells like normal.. I payed 1600 for the motor tranny ecu and axels.. I also have a 91 civic hatch for sale 500.00 no motor and no rust!!! but thats of course unless i get everything figured out but i have been trying for awhile and have no idea

Last edited:
Back