B16 Low End Advice

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Danabis

I'm gonna be buying a b16 in a month or so and just doing some research on it at the moment. I found a pretty good deal at hmotorsonline and have been looking at what kinds of things I would like to do with it.

I found a head package from gude that basically has the head ported and polished upgraded valve train new cams and throttle body for $1500 and is supposed to be around a 55hp gain. Now the question I have is could I do something like this to this motor without doing anything to the low end? It isnt a rebuilt motor its just supposed to be low milage. I'm a little hesitant to go all out because this is just gonna be for street mainly maybe play around during the summer with some weekend racing.

The main reason im hesitant to do the low end is from what i've been reading I will have to balance the motor which sounds pretty expensive. If I could get away with just a mild upgrade like type r pistons or something of that nature I would do it as long as I didn't have to pay out the ass for machine work. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Please close the Gude webpage and slowly back away from the computer. Other companies, that are better, offer better stuff. Go get your head pnp, no pnp job is the same. Then get a head kit from someone. Skunk 2, Toda, etc.

Ok I appreciate the advice about gude but that still doesnt answer my question. Can I do some top end work for extra power and leave the bottom as is even if its not a rebuilt motor?

Originally posted by Danabis@Jan 28 2003, 09:17 PM
Ok I appreciate the advice about gude but that still doesnt answer my question. Can I do some top end work for extra power and leave the bottom as is even if its not a rebuilt motor?

If you want a stock bottom end. How many miles are on it? I would redo the head with ctr cams, itr valvetrain and then skunk 2 IM and pnp the head and after you do that, and a CAI and exhaust and header and other bolt ons, then you will be forced to go inside the bottom end.

Boost is also an option, but before you go more than 7-9psi on a 18g turbo, i would redo the bottom end.

The motors are advertised to have around 35k miles on it weither thats true or not I'm not sure. I already have the intake off my old motor and I'm told will fit with maybe a little trimming the car already has 2 1/4 piping and exhaust and I plan to put dc headers on when I get the motor. Kinda want to go natural with it since its gonna be a daily driver just want to have a lil more power than the average guy with just a b16 and I dont want to be fixing it constantly but I'm a car nut so who knows where it might lead me but at the moment this is the only car I own and I gotta be able to get to work and home without blowing shit up. oh and this is going into a 91 crx for those who care.

Back