b16a wont start

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DanOne

Hi, my motor is a freshly rebuild 1st gen. jdm B16a i burn oil alittle. I did an oil change, and immediately after i crank it to let the oil set in and recheck the level. it starts but sounded like a "WRX" which to me is a misfire. spark and fuel are all present. i pulled the spark plugs one at a time, while it was running to see if anything changes, all them make the idle change except cyl. 2. so i figure maybe the fuel injector is not good. i swapped injectors from 1 and 2. problem stayed on cyl.2. so my next approach was to check the valve lash? maybe it was to tight or loose. it was kinda loose so i re-adjusted it (intake .007 and exhaust .008)now no start at all. im gonna re-adjust again later today to see if that helps. either way adjusting the valves on the misfiring cyl. only should either make it better or worse but still start if im not mistaken? next step after is to do a compression test.

if you have any idea's or suggestions please let me know.

***please no stupid comments that arent gonna help***

Easy fix....either loosen them all and start fresh. Or do it this way. Loosen them a bit the ones that are tigth and start her up she should fire. Then re adjust them all by the book. Also it sounfs like you have a bad misfire. Replace plugs, wires.

thanks, thats what i was gonna do when i get off work. i changed the cap, rotor, plugs and wires already. and the injectors are good. im gonna check the voltage, and the misfire is bad. it actually fixed itself for a bit after i changed the plugs, but after taking off and driving 100 ft orso it died. then when i restarted it, it was misfiring again? so i thought maybe changed the wires aswell. then i took off the cap and rotor and they were burnt up so i changed those also, but no change.

Let me get this right. You pulled the plugs as the engine was running? :huh:

You sure your going by the book? Check your timing again.

you do any type of racing or strain the motor befor the lof sounds like a bent valve, i had the same problem on my head but great now. how many miles, what mods and anything unusual happen before??

no racing for me. everything is to spec. yes i am going by the book. i have been really busy and had another car to use so i havent been messing with it. i know now that it is fuel related. spark is good, compression is 180 across the board, fuel pump is good, fuel filter is good, main relay is good, i get fuel all the way to the fuel rail but am not sure if its going into the cylinders. i am going to check this as soon as i get off, but i think my problem is in the wiring for the injectors or the resistor box. if you have any idea's or suggestions that i should keep in mind while i diagnose this i would appreciate it very much!!! thanks in advance.

Back