B18 or B16 Civic Eg

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CivicIssland

Hello, i am new to all the honda motors and such. I now have 1992 civic hatch with a d15b7 engine with a five speed transmission. I have been reading over a few things and getting mixed answers, i am wondering if it is possible to drop in a b18c1 engine with stock transmission, i would replaces all clutch plates and such before, but i am more worried about bolt holds lining up and if engine mounts are off i would not have a problem custom making ones.
I know i would need vtec ecu but is it possible to use exsisting wire harness and connected it to new ecu and connecting vtec wires in some where? Also what would be easier and cleaner the b18 or b16? As much info as possible would be appreciated thank you,

both swaps are about the same amount of work
both swaps fit about the same
you would be better off using either of the B series swaps with their respective transmissions
you can get an adapter plate made to match up your D series tranny... but again its not advised

do some more research these are fairly common questions that have been covered many many times

Thank you for the info, and i have been trying to find info on it and just cant get a clear answer. Some say that the older obd1 say d series transmission can mount to b engine, but you saying they cant? and if i went with b series set up i would need all new axles correct?

it can be done with adapter plates

its just not worth doing

and yes you will need new axles to match the B tranny

if you get a full swap from a reputable online shop you should get just about every thing that is needed to get the engine in the car

you will just have to do some wiring and should be good to go

Alright thanks for the info, i appreciate it
But if possible mind answer one more question?
Can i take 92-95 ex or si gauge cluster and just swap it with my dx one, and i would change odemeter so i would have same km

yes
and there are a few ways you can go about that
you can look for one with similar KM to yours
you can note the difference in the records for the car
you can set the new one to the same KM that your current one has

and no i will not tell you (and the rest of the internet world) how to do the third

b series

i would go b18b1 with a b16a tranny alot more torque and it will fit right in your 92 hatch just get b series axles and the mounts will fit also i have a 92 sedan with the same set up

i have a b16 and long term boost build b18b1 is better but for all other purposes b16 is better if all stock just more expensive

First off, if this is your first swap, I would go with a complete B16A. It's cheap and a good starting-off engine.You can have a low mileage JDM B16A SiR2 with transmission, ecu, shift linkage, for less than $1,500.

Back