B18A1 swap in '89 DX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

leake_da

Ok, I just joined this forum.....love the name. I've got an '89 Civic h/b DX. I have previously swapped a DOHC ZC in the car so all my wiring is changed over to the MPFI setup. But the ZC threw a rod through the block so now im in the process of putting in a B18A1 from a '90 Integra LS. My concerns are Ive noticed a difference in the distributor plugs ( my Civic has round plugs and the Integra has square plugs). Also the front tranny mounts wont work (Civic's too small Integra's too big). I've been working on a custom made mount from tubing and polyurethane, but it seems that people arent even using a mount there. Wouldnt that put a strain on the other 3 mounts? Please give some input on the mounts and the dizzy plugs.

The front mount is unnecissary. Your motor is fine without it, hack the bracket for it off of your crossmember. As far as the distributor plug goes, are you sure of the year Integra the B18 is from. I know 92-93's are OBD-1 and 90-91 are OBD-0. I remember something about the plugs on the two being different, but I think it was color, not shape. :shrug2:

Originally posted by MugenCRX@Sep 4 2005, 04:14 PM
The front mount is unnecissary. Your motor is fine without it, hack the bracket for it off of your crossmember. As far as the distributor plug goes, are you sure of the year Integra the B18 is from. I know 92-93's are OBD-1 and 90-91 are OBD-0. I remember something about the plugs on the two being different, but I think it was color, not shape. :shrug2:
[post=549572]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes, i know the year is '90 because i have the whole car( i got it for $100). And as far as the mount....i've seen a '94 Civic with a B16A in it, of course the 5th generations dont have that front crossmember so no mount was there. But i noticed 2 of the Hasport mounts were wearing badly on the sides.....it was just a concern of mine. maybe i can get some pics of the difference in the dizzy plugs.

well nevermind about the pics......i dont have access to upload pics yet. But i did look closely at the plugs. The civic has the rectangular plug with 6 pins and the 'teg has a round plug with 7 pins....and the coil plugs are the same(small round with 2 pins). What about the wires that were run to the cylinder position sensor on the ZC, shouldn't i have to run them to the distributor plugs on the B18? If so....does any body know where they connect to? Please Help!!!!

Very simple process...

All you need is an empty female round distributor plug...

Un-pin the rectangular plug and re-pin the female dizzy plug. The wires are all colored the same. If my memory serves me correctly there should be...

Thicker white
White
Orange
White/Blue
Orange/Blue
Blue/Green
Blue/Yellow

Just match them up... The Blue wires will come from the CYP sensor.

Originally posted by DTEC@Sep 6 2005, 06:29 AM
Very simple process...

All you need is an empty female round distributor plug...

Un-pin the rectangular plug and re-pin the female dizzy plug. The wires are all colored the same. If my memory serves me correctly there should be...

Thicker white
White
Orange
White/Blue
Orange/Blue
Blue/Green
Blue/Yellow

Just match them up... The Blue wires will come from the CYP sensor.
[post=550097]Quoted post[/post]​

Ok i switched all the wires over to the round plug and soldered the connections instead of crimping( a very important lesson ive learned from the past). I ve just got to put the rest of the motor together, along with finishing my custom mount with the help of my friend. then the exhaust and strut braces .......I'll keep ya posted on how everything goes. Thanks so much for the help.

MORE QUESTIONS!!!

1. What is the big sensor on the back side of the block and do i need it? It would take a big wrench to remove it and its got a green 2 pin connector. I dont have a plug for it in my DX harness and that sensor wasnt on the ZC engine either.

2. There's 2 vacuum type fittings on top of the tranny beside the speedometer cable. Do i cap these off? Cuz they look like they run to the power steering pump on the integra. I would just run gear oil in the tranny instead of tranny fluid.

3. Theres an extra water fitting on the front water outlet below the lower radiator hose hook up and beside the heater hose outlet. Its a whole lot smaller than the heater hose outlet, but im not seeing any other place for a hose to run to.

please any help would be appreciated......then i will probably ask more questions :please: :question: :doh:

Originally posted by leake_da@Sep 9 2005, 06:35 AM
MORE QUESTIONS!!!

1. What is the big sensor on the back side of the block and do i need it? It would take a big wrench to remove it and its got a green 2 pin connector. I dont have a plug for it in my DX harness and that sensor wasnt on the ZC engine either.

Not needed. Oil temp

http://www.rywire.com if you have any wiring questions, call the # =)

Originally posted by droppedcrxsi+Sep 13 2005, 03:24 AM-->
@Sep 9 2005, 06:35 AM
MORE QUESTIONS!!! 

1. What is the big sensor on the back side of the block and do i need it?  It would take a big wrench to remove it and its got a green 2 pin connector.  I dont have a plug for it in my DX harness and that sensor wasnt on the ZC engine either.

Not needed. Oil temp

http://www.rywire.com if you have any wiring questions, call the # =)
[post=553565]Quoted post[/post]​

Ok....I didnt think i needed it, but i thought i'd ask to make sure. As far as the water outlet, I think i found where it goes. I got it connected to a tube that runs under the throttle body and looks like it runs into the EACV. Is this right?......

Back