B18a1 swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Npavao

Hey guys so the backstory I've got a 92 civic cx swapped in a b18a1 and ls trans engine has hbeam rods super tech low comp. Pistons with new rings, new rod and main bearings new plugs and wires and a turbo.... Trans has new clutch and flywheel. Used the factory cx harness everything is hooked up where it should go I've checked the timing about 4 times....

The issue I'm having is it idles extremely low and rough, when driving between shifts it idles high and the higher rpm I shift the higher the rpms are between shifts..... It also back fires when pushing the gas pedal over 1/4 way to the floor... Coolant system is bled all vacuum lines are hooked up and new as well so there's no cracked hoses....

Definitely appreciate any help or opinions on what to check as this is my first dohc engine.

Hey guys so the backstory I've got a 92 civic cx swapped in a b18a1 and ls trans engine has hbeam rods super tech low comp. Pistons with new rings, new rod and main bearings new plugs and wires and a turbo.... Trans has new clutch and flywheel. Used the factory cx harness everything is hooked up where it should go I've checked the timing about 4 times....

The issue I'm having is it idles extremely low and rough, when driving between shifts it idles high and the higher rpm I shift the higher the rpms are between shifts..... It also back fires when pushing the gas pedal over 1/4 way to the floor... Coolant system is bled all vacuum lines are hooked up and new as well so there's no cracked hoses....

Definitely appreciate any help or opinions on what to check as this is my first dohc engine.
best advice i could give would be to check the timing lol jk

the rpms going up between shifts really sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere. how are your intake and throttlebody gaskets? get some dish soap and water in a sprayer and spray gasket surfaces and watch for bubbles.

We need some more info to understand the set up--

Did you convert to obd1?
what ecu are you using?
did you convert the o2 1 to 4 wire?
did it run this way before turbo?
what tuning software are you using?
was it dyno tuned?

best advice i could give would be to check the timing lol jk

the rpms going up between shifts really sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere. how are your intake and throttlebody gaskets? get some dish soap and water in a sprayer and spray gasket surfaces and watch for bubbles.
I'll definitely give this a shot!! Thank you!

We need some more info to understand the set up--

Did you convert to obd1?
what ecu are you using?
did you convert the o2 1 to 4 wire?
did it run this way before turbo?
what tuning software are you using?
was it dyno tuned?
Sorry! It is converted to obd1 I've got a phearable p28 with a xenocron basemap chip for the engines specs the o2 sensor is not currently hooked up but it is the 4 wire the engine was put in with the turbo previous engine owner said it ran fine but it was in pieces when I got it and put all the parts in it I currently only have datalog capabilities and it has not been dyno tuned yet trying to get it to run right before finding a dyno as the closest one to me here in iowa is 4 hours away

yeah, if the o2 is unplugged, it could account for all those symptoms

id check valve adjustment , and the distributor may be too far retarded/advanced

i have a 2002 EM2 si and am trying to swap a b18a1 ik i have to swap my ecu or covert my harness just wanted to know what else i need
fyi im trying to use the d17 trans

i have a 2002 EM2 si and am trying to swap a b18a1 ik i have to swap my ecu or covert my harness just wanted to know what else i need
fyi im trying to use the d17 trans

May I ask why you're trying to do this? Putting an old, underpowered B-series engine in to a car that's setup for K-series doesn't make any sense to me. Also, it's not going to be cheaper than simply putting another K20A3 in. No one makes mounts for this swap. The mounts, the harness, etc. would all need to be fabricated. And why a D17 transmission?

Back