B18C1 build question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

meredith

Hi all. I'm fairly new to the forum so please bare with me while I try and make my question clear.

I've currently got myself a Jdm B18C1 GSR engine. I would like to build it up so that it will be able to take turbo later on. I don't want to have to take the engine out again to rebuild the bottom end for example when I have enough money for turbo.

My question is:

What mods, if any, should I do to the engine so that it will be strong enough to take 10 psi boost?

Any suggestions, comments, criticisms would be greatly appreciated.

a stock b18c could take 10 psi probobly. with the right tuning and fuel its very possible. I wont say it will take it just because anything could happen. if you wanted to build it with a limited budget, get stock or lower compression pistons and rods like crower or eagle makes. or you could just shotpeen your stock rods. with turbos, its pretty much all about the proper application of fuel. dont go cheap with your fuel system and youll be alot more happy. hondata is always nice....depending on your budget and what you want to use the car for. you could go with a PnP head and aftermarket valve springs and reatainers amd the cams of your choice....

Thanks for the reply.

So what you're saying is that the B18C1 is fully capable of taking 10 psi boost right out of the box? That's great to know.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly regarding the management of the fuel. I assume that you are talking about getting the Air:Fuel Ratio to approx. 14.7:1?

If anyone else has done something similar to what I want to do, can you post what mods you did to your engine.

your jdm gsr motor has more CR than the usdm one, seen stock motors run any where from 7psi to 12psi....

since money and longevity is an issue, I would upgrade the pistons and rods so that you will have the option to boost more in the future,

7psi is standard on stocklongblock, 10psi is doable, but then again I am a firm believer in doing things right the first time around.

Originally posted by meredith@Mar 27 2004, 12:40 PM

I'm not sure what you mean exactly regarding the management of the fuel. I assume that you are talking about getting the Air:Fuel Ratio to approx. 14.7:1?

yikes! no thats too lean dude but yeah thats what he was refering to (AF ratio). turbos should bend more towards a rich mix for longevity and less likely to detonate ;)

im currently in the process of boosting a GSR with a stock bottom end and plan on boosting 10psi to start. ive read you can go as high as about 12 or 13 if tuned accurately and even higher with race gas.

JDMilan I totally agree with you on doing things right the first time. That's why I want to make sure that I make any engine mods prior to installing the engine. Just as you said, doing it right now will provide me with the ability to boost more in the future.

As for AF mixture, what is the recommended ratio? You said that 14.7:1.0 is too lean. The reason that I threw that number out there was that this is what on read on the following web page:

http://www.speedupgrade.com/articles/article/692608/5164.htm

Down in the section entitled " So Why The Hell Bother With a Small Boosted Motor?

"

Is this guy lying or what?

there's really not such a thing as a recommended ratio. it varies for every rpm and motor.

wideband + dyno + good tuner is what you need. are you sure you want to boost? i don't want to get into it, as it's off topic, but there's 10000 reasons why i won't ever boost a honda motor ... unless maybe the rear wheels are spinning. ;)

Right now I definitely want to put boost on my car. I just don't have the funds right now because I spent all sorts of cash on my B18C1.

Meredith- while running a motor with a lean ratio will usually get more power it runs hotter and decreases engine life.

what kind of car do you have? i'd recommend fixing up the appearance of your car while you're waiting to turbo and if you absolutely have to do something under the hood upgrade to a clutch that can handle some HP and a lighter *flywheel* :)

EDIT:when are you planning on boosting?

I've got a 1992 Civic Hatchback. I would post some pics but I have no digital camera. I'm not too worried about how my car looks. I want it to be a total sleeper. I'm from Ft. McMurray, Alberta, Canada. Up here we've got all sorts of big swinging dicks riding around with their appearance modded sunfires, and 6.0L trucks. ( It's pretty sad. I guess if you slap a hideous wing on your car then it must be fast right?!?! :lol: )

Anyways, I want to have the pleasure of destroying these fags with a totally stock looking civic hatch. :D

As far as the cluth goes, do you have any recommendations for places that I can read up on clutch upgrades?

I've never actually tuned a vehicle before, so the turbo is kind of a dream that I have for later on. Not sure when I will get one. I would like to become proficient in tuning my NA civic prior to slapping on a turbo. I'm graduating with my Bachelor of Computer Science this summer, so I will finally have some money for vehicles in the next year or so. O yeah!!!

Originally posted by meredith@Mar 28 2004, 10:10 AM
I've got a 1992 Civic Hatchback.

damn dude you have good taste! hehe i got a 93 hatch with 'The Swap' also :p so im where you will be in a year, hopefully gettin ready for boost :D

i would check Ebay for clutch's, they have a decent variety with HP spec's in the description to suit your needs.. ACT makes a good clutch. also i meant to say earlier to install a lighter *flywheel*. Fidanza makes a nice 7.5lb check that out..

since you cant really do anything to the appearance, upgrade your suspension. are you gonna put wheels on the hatch?

Thanks for ideas on the flywheel, and the clutch.

As for wheels, I am thinking of putting on some forged rims 15x6.5. Not sure what brand right now. I just know that I want to keep the 15 inches because they will be very light, and that way I don't increase the rotational inertia of the rim. As I said, I'm not going for a riced up looking vehicle, I'm all about the internals. :D

Can you guys can give me any reasons to get a different setup for the rims since all my info is based of reading websites, and not from practical experience ( where the most valued knowledge comes from in my opinion. )

look into Rota wheels. the light and well made for the price. I just ordered a set for my rex. also try Velox or Konig wheels---Volk or Work wheels if you got the cash.

matt

Back