B18c5 Cams Etc

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ek9r

00 b18c5 in 00 ek9 i got skunk stage 1 cams, skunk cam gears, stock valvetrain, stock type R fuel pump w/ aem rail and i want a much more aggressive cam. i was thinking jun 3 or toda b specs cause ive heard good things bout them. how do u :huh: feel about my situation? also, a local shop was saying that since my car is obd2, that I might have to go obd1? is that right or a bunch of crap??

To go Jun3's or Toda Spec b's you will have to upgrade the valvesprings, etc. (im not sure if the ITR's will hold)..

As for the obd1 conversion.. i dont see why you would. I think its just crap.

cars tend to run better when they're obd1, over obd2.

plus hondata and aem are more receptive to obd1 setups.

as far as cams, what are you trying to do, just get more top end power?

i'd stay with the skunk cams, as they'll give you good midrange...but if you want to go with a more aggressive cam you'll want to at least change your retainers....and probably your valve springs as well.

too much work if you ask me, i'd just tune the car and enjoy the type r motor...

personally i would go with toda spec b's and the toda valvetrain, that would work nicely with at c5 :)

not many VTEC cams are NON-streetable
most of the time that just means they wll have a rough idle and shitty fuel economy
if these things are not of high importance to you than you can put whatever you want in and use it on the street

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Feb 5 2003, 11:25 AM
not many VTEC cams are NON-streetable
most of the time that just means they wll have a rough idle and shitty fuel economy
if these things are not of high importance to you than you can put whatever you want in and use it on the street

right, that is pretty much the point of having vtec in the first place, you get a good idle cam, then a radical cam for the higher rpms

yea, im definatly gonna do valve springs and retainers, but this shop is saying that in order to run toda b specs, im gonna have to go obd 1. does anyone know how much truth is behind that, or is the shop trying to make more $ off me? yea the skunk stage 1 cams work well with the car, but im looking for more top end, and a reason to upgrade the valve springs and retainers. the car has an Erics racing programed ecu w/ no rev or speed limiter, and id like to take full advantage of it. but jun stage 3, or toda b specs . . . . . . .not too sure. :spin: im not worried about fuel economy, it just needs more ballz, and is not driven daily.

Jun3 are badass for making power...havent heard the drawbacks yet but seen the dynos...Toda B's are good too but i heard they eat your rocker arms because of the agressive ramp rates...what ever cam you get make sure you get the valvetrain that goes with it...else you might mess some things up...Todas cams will work with ITR outer/PortFlow inner springs...Yes you will have to convert to OB1 because your cant upgrade your OB2 ECU easily...or just get HONDATA...its all you need for tunning....

im definatly going jun 3, ti valve springs, ti retainers. i have a custom programmed eriks racing ecu w/ no rev/speed limit. are u sure i will have to convert to obd1 to make my car work with theese new parts? if so how do i do it? i dont really want to give up my ecu because i saw nice gains with it. your help is appreciated

Back