B18c5 Or Ls/b20/vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dvs_prelude

Sup everyone,
I was wondering which engine would yield more power fully built for street use? I know the type-R is far more reliable and has a nice crankshaft, but is there much more you can do to it than honda already has?
How much power can you get out of these engines fully built on pump gas:

Type-R (JDM and USDM)
B20/vtec
LS/vtec

If I go with the Type-R engine in an EG VX hatch, is it possible to have an 11-12 sec N/A street car?

Throw the LSVTEC out of there. It is not worth doing in a Civic. The B18C5 is a better bang for your buck than the LSVTEC. The B20VTEC however is deffinately worth doing in your Civic.

Thanks!

Anyone know how much power I can get out of a fully built n/a B18C5 and a fully built B20/Vtec? I wanna be able to drive it on the street so I'll probably be keeping the CR around 12:1 or 12:5:1. California sucks with stupid 91 octain premium :(

Originally posted by dvs_prelude@Jan 20 2003, 03:50 PM
Thanks!

Anyone know how much power I can get out of a fully built n/a B18C5 and a fully built B20/Vtec? I wanna be able to drive it on the street so I'll probably be keeping the CR around 12:1 or 12:5:1. California sucks with stupid 91 octain premium :(

depending on who you have build the motor... then you COULD pull out up to 240+ whp, but like i said depends on who builds it, what fuel system your running, what ECU, etc etc etc... the people over at Import Bulders/ImportReview know their stuff but they can charge an arm and a leg for their dominator/annihilator/killer packages... where in cali do you live... there are a few places i can recommend to you that will give you a good deal if you mention my name

b18c5 with jun cams and you're going to make 195-205whp. i'd go with a type r motor simply because its going to be reliable.

to build a reliable crvtec takes a lot of money and knowledge. and you have to add a breather box...basically honda didn't design the crv block to take high rev's, so you're going against what honda designed and that means sacrificing reliability.

Back