B20 build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nitro20

Hello it's my first topic here, hi to everyone.Well i have some questions about my b20 build. I have b20z engine in my garage and i want to drop it to civic with 16a2 engine i want just to get the b16 block out and put the b20 block in i was thinking about couple of upgrades to make it reliable what do you think about this.
I will probably gonna get a new pistons (srp, je ) and rods (don't know what company) so what compression will be safe for this weak sleaves on b20 and b16a2 head??
I have also found this page ( http://www.importreview.com/d_2.0.html ) and on dyno graphs we can see in all graphs that after 7500 rpm's torque is starting to going down very quickly and power doesn't go so much up (depends on build) and i thought that maybe it's pointless to rev engine higher than7,5k. Well i have to tell you that i'm a bit scared of doing this crvtec, i don't want to have a lot of problems with engine all the time esspacially with cracking sleeves. I want to have this car also for going to work, shop etc.. So after all this reading which i've lately done i found out that the stock b20z goes to 6800rpm's , i've decided to buy new pistons, rods, maybe blockguard (don't know is it worth my attention, does it helps ??) , and probably i will put a rev limiter on a 7,5 k (beacause i want to have reliable car also). My engine is b20z with about 10-40 miles on it so it's not so bad, I'm thinking that this block shouldn't have a lot of problems taking 7,5k with new pistons and rods it's only 700rpm's but i'm listening very carefully to your opinions. I have also another q is it possible to change rev limiter on my ecu from b16a1 engine ?? It's a lot of reading thx guys for your attention !!!!!!! I really appriciate it. Oh and i'm not going turbo for sure with this build.
1) what CR will be safe to do not crack sleeves and what company pistons and rods what about Blockguard ??
2) what rev's will be safe ??
3) can i put a rev limiter in a b16a2 ecu on 7500rpm's ??
4) should i change sth in head to make it more reliable ??
I did a lot of reading but i just can't find exactly answers to my q Thx!

Well nice so many views and no reply :( <_< nobody know how too help or my post it's just to complicated ??

welcome....

1) what CR will be safe to do not crack sleeves and what company pistons and rods what about Blockguard ?? i would go with IB spec wiseco pistons/rod combo....if it were my daily i would stay in the11.8:1 range depending on gas and type of tunning....you dont need a block guard but i like to use them...

2) what rev's will be safe ?? can i put a rev limiter in a b16a2 ecu on 7500rpm's ?? buy arp rod bolts and head studs get the ecu chipped and get a dyno tuned chip for your car. (uberdata)...and buy some skunk2 II cams/gears... tune for power...youll be fine if the block is built right....but this is a delicate subject and some one will say other wise

4) should i change sth in head to make it more reliable ?? i dont understand this ????..but a i think your talking about the head. P&P will do the trick and dual valve springs ; i would keep the b16 IM and get it extrude honed/ port matched...

i would also change to oem 98+ gsr oil/water pump and timing belt, with a toda/spoon oilgear.... and use the golden eagle vtec conversion kit...its great

remember this is just my personal opinion do your own research and do as much or as little as you want.. hope i helped a little

At last some ipinion about this build. Thx for reply !! And sorry for pure eng. but i'm not from states or england :p

Originally posted by formby@Jun 5 2005, 05:54 PM
welcome....

1) what CR will be safe to do not crack sleeves and what company pistons and rods what about Blockguard ?? i would go with IB spec wiseco pistons/rod combo....if it were my daily i would stay in the11.8:1 range depending on gas and type of tunning....you dont need a block guard but i like to use them...

2) what rev's will be safe ?? can i put a rev limiter in a b16a2 ecu on 7500rpm's ?? buy arp rod bolts and head studs get the ecu chipped and get a dyno tuned chip for your car. (uberdata)...and buy some skunk2  II cams/gears... tune for power...youll be fine if the block is built right....but this is a delicate subject and some one will say other wise

4) should i change sth in head to make it more reliable ?? i dont understand this ????..but a i think your talking about the head.  P&P will do the trick and dual valve springs ; i would keep the b16 IM and get it extrude honed/ port matched...

i would also change to oem 98+ gsr oil/water pump and timing belt, with a toda/spoon oilgear.... and use the golden eagle vtec conversion kit...its great

remember this is just my personal opinion do your own research and do as much or as little as you want.. hope i helped a little
[post=508237]Quoted post[/post]​

:withstupid:

Formby is pretty much right on, but don't forget about your fuel system too. While you wont need a fuel rail, you will need bigger injectors and possibly a bigger fuel pump. You will definetly need some sort of piggyback or standalone tuning system as well. Limiting the revs is not really necesary, is it? Just don't rev it up past 8 or 9. Cars make power based upon compression, cams, head work and multiple other factors. I have seen B20/Vtecs pull right up to 10,000 rpms. It's all in the tuning and the build.

I would also say fuck the stock b16 manifold and go for the professional products/aebs intake manifold. It's around $150 and well worth the money.

Hope this helps, if you could clarify what you were trying to ask in question 4 then perhaps we could help you better. :)

Edit - Have fun trying to get ahold of Jeff at Import Builders too, my shop tried to contact him for over a week but to no avail. He makes great products but is really flaky and hard to contact from what I hear. If you can't get ahold of him, then check out ENDYN racing pistons. They are also Wiseco pistons that have been modified and people see great results with them too. Fuck, if they are good enough for Cheezefrog and Courtney Green then ...... :p

Back