B20 Turbo?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

timEspeed

Im just wondering if anyones done a b20b turbo setup. I keep herein about the b20's gearing and how its great for turbo apps. I dont wanna here anything about sleeves, ive heard it all already. Im just tryin to debate whether its better to run (performancewise) b20vtec N/A with GSR LSD tranny or B20 turbo (VTEC or not) with b20 tranny.

the B20 that you will be using is from a CRV im pretty sure they only come in AWD... if so you wont be using the tranny... the only B20 that came in a FWD car is the B20A from the old prelude and it sucks ass... im pretty sure you will have to use the tranny from a LS, GSR, ITR, Si, CTR

no my moms old CRV was 2wd, and i am pretty sure it was front wheel drive, i think all wheel drive was an add on package.

yeah your right, its fwd. The other package has a 4wd system that only engages when the front loses traction.

Straight line, go turbo... road course or autocross, go all motor or with a supercharger.

Originally posted by Calesta@Feb 4 2003, 01:36 AM
Straight line, go turbo... road course or autocross, go all motor or with a supercharger.

a lot of road course leagues do not allow FI of any kind ...
something to look into if you are interested in FI and road course racing

Originally posted by E_SolSi+Feb 4 2003, 12:57 AM-->
@Feb 4 2003, 01:36 AM

a lot of road course leagues do not allow FI of any kind ...
something to look into if you are interested in FI and road course racing

Hmm... I wasn't thinking about the rule book- more thinking about engine setups combined with long term high revving and lots of acceleration following deceleration needing instant response, but you're right.

:lol:

B20 turbo has real good potential. I planning on doing the same thing. Like you said, sleeves, ported head, you'll need a new intake manifold if your using a b20b (it has lower compression as is).

good point but i'm liking the idea of being different. Besides an SUV engine in a sub 2000 lb car is a hell of an idea

Originally posted by timEspeed@Feb 25 2003, 09:38 PM
good point but i'm liking the idea of being different. Besides an SUV engine in a sub 2000 lb car is a hell of an idea

Well, it's not really an SUV engine in a car, it's more like a car engine that got put into an SUV that was based on that same car, and now you're putting it back into the car that the engine and SUV were based on in the first place.

:lol:

Well, it's not really an SUV engine in a car

yeah, thats true however, the block was beefed up to pull around twice as much weight, i.e. more displacement and torque :D

power to weight ratio: 200hp/2000lbs= 1hp per 10 lbs
compared to stock dx: 70hp/2000lbs= 0.35hp per 10 lbs

of course this is all hypothetical, but thats three times faster!! sounds good to me :spin:

Back to your question, How much are you planning on spending? How much power do you want? They are two different animals, NA vs Turbo. You will want the GSR tranny + LSD with either.

Money shouldn't be an issue since I hope that Ill make more than enough reselling JDM motors. And as for power, well thats subjective. Im not talking 'hi dyno' competitions but rather circle track racing. This type of competion isn't very popular in the Sport Compact world but I'll take it over 1/4 mile any day. I'm not keen on the uni-dimensional Straght line racing (IMO). Acceleration seems to be of importance, making me lean toward NA. However, straights are just as long as turns meaning peak power is important too, looking at FI.
Super Chargers come to mind also, but my experience with them is that they strain drive train components too much for 25 laps at full thottle. The question then is all about turbo lag from a rolling start (off a turn). Anyone have some ideas as to which dirrection to go? Im sorta thinking NA but for no apparent reason.
Thanx in advance

Back