B20b/vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

integra504

Hi, remember me? I sold my ls and i bought a 1994 hatch. I want to put a b20b/vtec. I got the the engine and i was wandering if the b16a1 head will be good if i want to turbo it. Also if u have any tips on the swap that can help me and give me more room in the bay tell me please. thanks

The B16 head will work fine. If you are sure that boost is in your future it might be cheaper for you to buy a B18A/B bottom end and resleeve it to 84mm. To be on the safe side I wouldn't run a lot of boost on the stock B20 sleeves.

Yes you can resleeve it. What I was saying is buying an B18A/B bottom end is usually cheaper than the B20B/Z bottom end and if you are going to sleeve it anyway get the cheaper bottom end and have what ever company you go to for sleeves install 84mm bore sleeves instead of 81mm.

The b20b motor i have right now has abuot 2k miles on it. If i put a blockl guard on it, i don't have to resleeve it?

I can't answer that one for sure. Sorry. Maybe we can enlist the help of Calesta or pissedoffsol...

not a turbo expert but a block guard is like a cheap subsitution for new sleves. They are good for the money but sleeves are alot stronger.

i've heard alot of people completely bitch about how big peices of shit they are, but those are probally also the guys that will think their bottom end is built and boost the fuck outta it.... either way better than nothin

b20vtec build on cspeed

Originally posted by asmallsol@Jan 12 2003, 05:02 PM
not a turbo expert but a block guard is like a cheap subsitution for new sleves. They are good for the money but sleeves are alot stronger.

I don't think that there is a block guard on the market for the B20B/Z. I would recommend resleeving if you're going to boost high amounts... if you're just going to boost 8-10 psi across the rev range, you'll be fine with stock sleeves and good tuning. If you're definitely going to resleeve for boost, and you haven't bought the engine yet- just buy a B18 and bore it before the resleeve.. or if you can get a B20 cheap enough, you can still resleeve that. In the end, you'll have the same block- go with whatever setup is cheaper.

Block guards tend to rattle and cause hot-spots in your engine- so I would stay away from them if you can. If you're worried about the cost of a guard vs resleeving though, maybe boost isn't really in your budget.

running a block guard is a half-assed attempt at secuirty...

and you probably don't want to run a b16a sir1 head. the sir2 or b16A3 will plug in much nicer

Back