Best For Crx Turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hey just blew my d16a6 outta my 90 crx... i'm lookin at engine swaps, but cant decide to go with a b16a (can you turbo that) or a b18 of sum sort. i got around 2000, so i know a b16 is better with the money... but does a b16 have as much potential as a b18, say gsr, or something... i wanna turbo it, but that wont be for awhile, plus i want my light ass rex not be loaded down with too much weight. need to decide soon...

p.s. what type of cars can you snatch the b18's out of if thats the better option?

also i read the trannys for the b16 are weak and usually beat... so is that a good reason not to go with them..... com on ppl....

if you wanna go turbo and you're on a budget, get the ls (b18a) for sure. you should be able to get the complete swap for around $1,500. they came out of '90 - '91 integras. you're also gonna need some aftermarket engine mounts. check out http://www.hasport.com/ and if you got some more questions... just ask :) .

ls/vtec turbo is my choice!

Originally posted by Darivative@Feb 23 2003, 02:13 AM
ls/vtec turbo is my choice!

LSvtec turbo is pointless. If you are going to to an LSvtec on a non LS car (any non teg) your going to spend more on that set up then if you would have just bought the GSR in the first place.

if you have to do a turbo I'd say a B18b it will be a lot cheaper and it will screw, the B16 is an outstanding motor with endless potential, I have a B16 in my eg and I absolutely love it, so you really could go either way, and either way you'll be happy.

I would go with a B16A, you can get a complete changerover for 1150, and it goes right in--you can always turbo it if you want.
:withstupid: I agree with asmallso,l LSVTEC/T is not really recommended and there is no reason for it. People who have done it say it's not worth it unless you alreayd have the B18A/B in your car. LS/T or B16/T would be your best bet, they are pretty much in the same price range, give or take a few hundred.

If your thinkin bout LS/VTEC....try revin it in the high range....see what happens....i prefer B18C turbocharged.....it's cam duration is longer, bigger bore, longer rev limit, and much of the goodies.....try to get a good turbocharger....get an ecu that will function the motor for turbo modifications.....hondata makes great ecus......it'll cost you a bundle, but hey it pays in the long run.....

Originally posted by civicSiR1@Feb 24 2003, 11:03 AM
If your thinkin bout LS/VTEC....try revin it in the high range....see what happens

No way, the LS vtec is wonderful creation but it is only a wise setup IF you have a LS block already (ie you have a non vtec integra). Yes ls/vtec will fail if you rev it too high in stock form but if your dumb enough to just throw a vtec head on a stock ls block you deserve to get your engine blown. LS rods can not withstand the highrevs VTEC loves so that is why you must rebuild the bottom end. Talk to lsvtec, he loves his set up but he does not recomend it for anyone except for those that have a LS block.

aight people... i just found out that my budgets no so profound as i thought... so i'm prolly goin zc first... can i keep the same axles and tranny thou from a 90 crx si... if i need to change nething let me know....

If you're going turbo, you might as well just go for the b20. The compression is in a really good range (about 8.5 or 9:1).

Me, I'm going to shoot for a CRVTEC.........

Originally posted by 93solman@Feb 24 2003, 06:14 PM
If you're going turbo, you might as well just go for the b20. The compression is in a really good range (about 8.5 or 9:1).

Me, I'm going to shoot for a CRVTEC.........

The b20 is not the best in stock form for boost. The sleves are pretty thin so resleaving them is a must if your going for moderate PSI. The b18b is better in stock form for a turbo.

ZCs use the same mounts, tranny, axls, and your ECU will work, tho its not the best one... :D

i'm lookin at the zc just cuz i need to get this damn car back on the road... but patience is a virtue right... :bs: ... but the idea of havin a Bseries in that car give me a big wood, just money is a problem. i need a whole new sunroof and a paintjob bad! so moneys needed elsewhere... if i only had like 10 Gs right now, i would be set...

Back