best head gasket for b16a?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HATCHET_HONDA

scottie fizzle
recently i just started up my b16 swap in my 91 dx... but the head gasket didnt seal and it was burning coolant so i pulled the head back off. i bought an engine gasket kit and used the head gasket it came with. i was wondering what the diff is between a cometic, buddy club, and any other 3 layer metal gasket? i really dont have almost 100 bucks to spend on a gasket

actually i have heard of some guy on another forum running 9's in the quarter mile with a stock honda head gasket but not 100% sure. Anyway im going cometic my friend runs it on his all out race car and they hold up excellent and plus he said if they blow they replace for free if a manufacturer defect. And ive been at a local track and seen a boosted mustang on 20 psi and cometic gaskets and it blew a chunk out off his aluminum heads and the gasket was good lol

The reason an OEM head gasket blows is because over time the head warps slightly. Send the head out, have it milled, and use an OEM Honda gasket. The Fel-Pro, Cometic, any other fiber gasket wont hold up. Also you need to get new head bolts, they are torque to yeild so once you put them in torque them they cant be re-used.

The reason an OEM head gasket blows is because over time the head warps slightly. Send the head out, have it milled, and use an OEM Honda gasket. The Fel-Pro, Cometic, any other fiber gasket wont hold up. Also you need to get new head bolts, they are torque to yeild so once you put them in torque them they cant be re-used.

GREAT information to know, Byron. :thumbsup: Someone please rep this man for me. That has been one of my ponderances for a while for my build. Thanks man. :D

The head bolts are not torque to yield, read Honda service manual. Torque specs and torque instructions, and says what needs to be replaced when rebuilding your engine.

The head bolts are not torque to yield, read Honda service manual. Torque specs and torque instructions, and says what needs to be replaced when rebuilding your engine.
10 yr old thread , lol and OE head gasket is just as good as any in most bolt on applications , and yes they are torque to yield but in most cases get away with reusing them fine

Back