blow off valve

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

darwins_vtech

I am in the process of putting together my turbo kit. I have found a blow off valve for $169 Greddy Type S. Brand new. Will this work with my set up? I am doing everything custom. I have ordered cetain parts, but all the intercooler piping is custom. I have mandrel bent piping from JC Whitney and I have cut the pipes to hook up, now all i have to do is have the hole drilled in and the blow off valve welded on correct? Or is their a different way to do it? is their a flaneg that can be welded and then just bolt the blow off valve on? What should I do, I am tight on money, and I want to order the BOV soon. Thanks.

Darin

Originally posted by darwins_vtech@Mar 9 2004, 03:02 PM
I am in the process of putting together my turbo kit. I have found a blow off valve for $169 Greddy Type S. Brand new. Will this work with my set up? I am doing everything custom. I have ordered cetain parts, but all the intercooler piping is custom. I have mandrel bent piping from JC Whitney and I have cut the pipes to hook up, now all i have to do is have the hole drilled in and the blow off valve welded on correct? Or is their a different way to do it? is their a flaneg that can be welded and then just bolt the blow off valve on? What should I do, I am tight on money, and I want to order the BOV soon. Thanks.

Darin

i like the greddy type s bov, it sounds pretty nice

youre gonna need a good sized drill bit, id say just take it to a welding shop that has a plasma cutter and cut the hole out like that, and have them weld the flange to the pipe. screw the bov on to the flange.

also, be sure to get pieces of sheet metal welded to your piping, and drill holes in them so you can secure the piping to the chassis, otherwise the chances of your piping blowing off under boost will increase.

i had the hks ssq, and at low boost it sounded like a mack truck......

some people say good things about the type s, which supposedly is pretty loud.

basically any BOV will work for any setup- but Solreaver is right, you're prolly gonna want to have the thin aluminum piping plasma cut and have a mount bracket TIG welded in place- I know that you can MIG thin aluminum, but it's pretty damn tough and it's best to have a good tig welder put the flange on for yah!

keep us posted on this project, i plan on doing something like this some where down the line. The custom IC piping i think is my main concern for when i go to do the set up try and get pictures and all that good stuff. whast the rest of the system consist of?

The turbo XS RFL (Really Fuckin Loud) bov is sweet. It's sounds like you're killing a baby seal when you are mashing gears. :D

i like the HKS super sequential bov. Its loud as shit. sounds like airbrakes on a mack truck. theres no sleeper about it.

I have the Greddy Type-S blow off valve. It sounds pretty sweet at high boost. Actually, almost any aftermarket blow off valve sounds sweet-very intimidating too to scare everyone away. hehe. :thumbsup: I like the way "Blitz" sounds and the "Tial" is cool too.

ive been lookin around about these, and have been unable to find the recommended psi as the crossover between the Greddy Type-S and Type-R???

if you are planning on running low boost for a while, stay away from the hks ssq....

it gets pretty damn annoying when driving in normal traffic, and shifting @ 2k you hear what can only be described as a obnoxious "mack truck brakes" sound.

it sounds like shit @ low boost.....6psi or so.

but then again, im sure it depends on what engine you are running as well.

if i had to do it all over again (hmmm) i would go for the greddy type s, or even the tial.

after a few months i bought the purple insert for the hks ssq, and it made the sound quieter....but it still sounded like shit imo.

thanks for the suggestions, I have a friend who got a new BOV on his Gen 1 DSM, So I am going to buy his original BOV for $30. And have that put on. I do only plan on running 7-8 PSI. I got a equal length manifold w/ external wastegate flange. a custom downpipe. and Brand new Garett T3 Turbo. Then I made custom intercooler piping, and front mount intercooler (3"d X 30"L X 7"H) FMU off of Ebay and various vacum lines and Fuel line with some fittings from ACE HARDWARE. Paint for the intercooler piping and a bunch of other little things to complete the project. I will be installing all the parts in about 2 weeks or so, so I will take pictures and all that other shit, and then let you know how it works out.
thanks again to all you guys for your help.

Darin

Back