Bought a CR-V

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I got the "defective" airbag replaced at the dealership. They ran a dealership report on it for me, pretty cool to see, and they ran a carfax for me.

The ceramic coating is holding up pretty well on everything but the plastic trim, I think I'm going to have to remove the trim pieces and figure out a process to get it right. Maybe some friction and heat to fix the oxidization, then seal it? I dunno. Some detailing people say they use acids.

I got the "defective" airbag replaced at the dealership. They ran a dealership report on it for me, pretty cool to see, and they ran a carfax for me.

The ceramic coating is holding up pretty well on everything but the plastic trim, I think I'm going to have to remove the trim pieces and figure out a process to get it right. Maybe some friction and heat to fix the oxidization, then seal it? I dunno. Some detailing people say they use acids.
Hahahahah.

Honda just called me.

Apparently they put a "bad airbag" in. More to follow.

I finally installed a bluetooth adapter into the CD changer port on the radio. It's just a generic Chinese cd-changer emulator:

s-l1600 (1).jpg

AMAZING. The sound quality is actually really good, no more clipping because the FM modulator isn't actually modulating the full 200khz, no more white noise in the background, no more distortion on all Ss and Ps and cymbals in songs. I'll route the microphone somewhere once I figure out where to put it. Call quality is good, microphone is alright, not great, but I really don't care, because the music quality is really good.

I played a couple spectrum sweep tracks on it, and it's not dropping out anything. It connects via aptX, not aptX HD, so that's kinda impressive.

If anyone is interested, the model I had to get isn't marketed for the CR-V, but instead is marketed for these:
Applicable models:

For Honda:
For accord 1998-2002
For civic 1998-2005
For odyssey 1999-2004
For pilot 2003-2005
For acura TL 2000-2003 MDX 2001-2004 CL EL

Next up, I'm going to install tweeters on the doors, to hopefully raise the soundstage a few feet.

Very nice. I didn't realize they even made something like this.
Yeah, I'd seen them a couple times in various places, and finally had a car that it made sense in. It's a lot better than the FM thing I was using before. Install kinda sucked, as anything having to do with getting behind the dash in a CR-V does -- but it didn't require removal of the dash or radio, and I still have the use of the tape deck should I ever find a cassette tape again.

I installed two tweeters, walmart $7 specials... They're SUPER BRIGHT, like painful. So, I put some electrical tape over them, and blocked about 40% of the grille, and now they're perfect.

The soundstage is definitely up higher, and there's a bit more clarity, and it does sound a lot better. I don't really have any songs I use as a reference anymore, because I've been on a 90's Rap kick lately, and it sounds like normal. I'll check it all out tomorrow when I drive into work. I'll probably eventually use some black RTV under the grille to mute them instead of 3M Super 33+ electrical tape over the grille, lol.

Blew out a CV Boot. I ordered a new axle and I'll replace that eventually...

1630253010937.png

But, uh, so far this has been a relatively problem-free vehicle.

Just changed the oil at 192,xxx and discovered it.

I saw your mention of saran wrap.
I usually use duct tape in a pinch, or sometimes even extended use - depending on the price of the axle relative to the price of the car and/or long term plans for it.

I saw your mention of saran wrap.
I usually use duct tape in a pinch, or sometimes even extended use - depending on the price of the axle relative to the price of the car and/or long term plans for it.
It's basically my family car, my wife has a '16 CR-V, and I've got this one to move the kiddo and doggo around in. Saran wrap will keep the grease from flying out more, and it'll protect it for a while. It must've just torn because it wasn't there in April when I was last under the car, and the automatic car wash I went through in late July would have destroyed it.

I rarely drive it, it's more of a backup car. So I don't mind if it sits for a while. I've got enough other vehicles to drive if it's just me.

Back