Bought a CR-V

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

awptickes

unimpressed by you
VIP
1584061549667.png

1999, cr-v, lx, awd, automatic transmission. The interior is in great condition, it's even got the table in the back.

186k miles, and it's not rusted out or torn up inside. More pictures tomorrow when I get it home.

Looks great. I miss my 2003 EX.
Was a great ride for the 50k ish miles I had it.

So, my daughter loves it. I got her seat into it this morning and went on a short drive (a mile down my road, then back). Right rear tire might have a leak, it was at 20psi when we got back, front tires were at like 41 psi, so that explains the diff noises.

It needs front lower engine mounts, rear diff mounts, filler neck, valve cover gasket, spark plug tube gaskets, cam plug, and probably engine mounts at some point.

Thank god for Amazon, I haven't had to deal with a single parts counter idiot yet. I have all new transmission fluid, diff fluid, PCV valve, wiper blades, new A/C belt, cabin filter, spark plug wires, tire cover, cam plug, valve cover gasket set, engine mounts, and fuel filler neck coming soon. Most of it gets here tomorrow, lol.

I think the valve cover gasket gets here in an hour or two, so I suppose I'll start on the oil change and valve cover. :p

How much did you get it for?
I got my at about 80k miles and sold I think about 130k if I remember correctly.
During my time as owner the calipers all seized one by one, one in DC traffic on a trip down to Myrtle Beach. Gave me a horrible front end shake that felt like a wheel bearing with a horrible shudder.
The door lock actuators also all went one by one, so keep that on your radar.
The only other issue I had was the transmission never being serviced so it started to get a slight shudder on acceleration at random times.
I did the honda recommended drain, fill, drive, drain, fill, drive, drain, fill method and that fixed the trans issue.
-
And the fuel evap solonoid on the charcoal canister rusted and lost seal around the metal plate.
Thirty dollar fix.

2300 cash.

I don't know if the transmission has ever been serviced, so I think I'm going to drain it, see if anything improves, and then go from there.

The rear diff makes some noise, so I'm going to do a fluid replacement, maybe I'll have to rebuild it at some point.

Emission stuff is all working, last obd2 reset was several hundred hours ago, so I'm not worried it's a false-negative.

Good to know on the door locks and brakes. I'll probably flush out the brakes next week, once I get more brake fluid.

The driver's window is a little slow, I put some lithium grease in the track, that's making a difference. I suspect it'll get better after it works all the way in.

If I remember correctly the total spec is like 5 quarts but when you drain it you only get about a third of it out, which is why they recommend the 3x method. I think according to the statistics when you are done with the 3x method its about 80.1% new fluid in the trans.
I was hesitant to do that method, as it seemed wasteful use of trans fluid, but I was pleased with the results, money well spent as it allowed me to sell for top dollar.
_
All the people that came to see the car kept checking around the rear hatch area and the gas fill door for rust.
Apparently they have some rust issues there, especially the gas fill door area. Mine was spotless as I acquired from an older gentleman/deceased coworkers estate who didn't drive much and always had it serviced at honda.

And oops, it's an EX.

Oil and filter changed, AC belt installed, new front left lower motor mount installed too.

Transmission fluid changed once.

IMG_20200315_140422.jpg

That's holding it up to the sun...

Alt belt and PS belt are kinda chewed up, and it may need a new crank pulley.

Yeah, no boost on this one. Maybe nitrous, lol.

I got fresh tags and then took it out on a test drive, it rides nice. I need to get the new tires put on, but I dunno when I'll be able to get that done. I'm concerned that the difference in diameter from front to rear is causing the rear diff whine/howl.

But, basically if the tires doesn't fix the howl, I'm just going to buy an eBay rear diff from a 2005+ and do the swap.

presumably different size tires will cause damage on an AWD vehicle, so i'd try to remedy that sooner than later.
I'd probably also try a fluid change, and then maybe another with a higher weight oil, see if that quiets it down.
-
is the swap to a 2005+ a common thing on these?
-
car-part.com let you sort by distance, handy trick if looking for parts in local yards.
Legend motorscars in Baltimore has a 2003 with 103k miles, but the price says call.

Legend Motorcars Inc. USA-MD(Baltimore) Request_Quote 410-945-7800 Request_Insurance_Quote

and here's a 2007 for $450, but doesn't list miles
John Browns Auto Parts Inc. USA-MD(White-Hall) Request_Quote 410-357-4040 Request_Insurance_Quote

not really sure where you live either, I think MD area?

I already did one diff fluid change. They're not different size tires, just different worn levels. The previous owner put two new tires on the front very recently.

I ended up picking up a set of EX wheels with almost brand new M&S tread goodyear tires for about $300 bucks from a local honda yard.
Had legit snows on my original EX wheels, and ran the M&S as all seasons for the rest of the year.
Deal was too good to pass up.
_
Check out my post on FB about the manual tire changer.

Back