budget boost...b16 sir-II

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SPEEDFREAK0920

i have a jdm b16 a2 that i want to boost. i'm looking for around 7 psi or more just for daily driving and weekend dragger. i'm on a budget of around 1700. my buddy has a 14b turbo and injectors off of his 92 tsi that he will sell me for dirt cheap,around $140. his engine had around 120k miles before he parted it out. i checked for wheel play and found none at all.it seems to be in good condition. would i have enough money for fmic/manifold/hondata or uberdata(spelling?)/etc. ? i'm looking for atleast high 13 sec. 1/4 times. thanks to all who responds.any help would be appreciated thanks again

Hondata will run you at least $600 (or more because of tuning). A reasonably good FMIC would be arround $350-400. You can go with just a log manifold for like $250. It would be good enough for your setup. I have no clue about whether or not the 14b turbo would be worthwhile tho. Someone else will have to tackle that one.

I think you could definitely make it on your budget. DSM parts are a great way to say $$$ and make a small turbo setup. I would go with the 14b its cheap and would work well for you. Its a small turbo so be aware of that. With the right tires you could hit high 13's

7 psi on a 14b is going to give you about 50 whp at best. probably lower.

You defintely have enough money for a custom turbo kit. I spent $1100 on my kit and almost all of the parts were brand new. I would buy the injectors, but forget about using the 14b (too small). Your b16 likes to rev high so get a decent sized turbo. Since your on a budget defintely go with uberdata (basically the same thing as hondata, uberdata/hondata = chipped ECU). Running uberdata with 450cc injectors you will be able to safely run a lot more than 7 psi if tuned properly. I would look into getting a johnnyracecar or custom coach intercooler ($200-$250) and get your mandrel bent piping form jcwhitney.com. A log manifold will work (cheap), but they don't flow that well. Maybe try and find a used tubular manifold on eBay. Just check eBay or online forums for deals on most of the turbo parts because you might be able to find the majority of a kit for fairly cheap. You will also want to upgrade to 3 inch exhaust and get a good clutch.

awesome thanks to all. i will be going with a larger t3/t4 turbo and an uberdata. thanks for the help and i will post pics and info. when i'm done with the set up

chill man, I wasn't saying anything about johnyracecar IC's, just that last time they were brought up people got in a huge fight. So.... I was letting everyone know that WE DON'T need annother big argument.

Don't worry. I don't know shit about intercoolers and I'm not arguing with you :D

Originally posted by ktanaka@Jun 14 2004, 08:37 AM
chill man, I wasn't saying anything about johnyracecar IC's, just that last time they were brought up people got in a huge fight. So.... I was letting everyone know that WE DON'T need annother big argument.

Don't worry. I don't know shit about intercoolers and I'm not arguing with you :D

My bad I thought you were ripping on me. :p

Back