Building Ls for Boost

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

that is just a goal. I have 250 260 easy now and yea its okay but I just want more. Its kinda a competition between me and a buddy of mine and it isn't a daily that is why I just want power. The goal is to be on 16 psi but everyone says not to have a psi goal so i figured i would just make it arond 400

that is just a goal. I have 250 260 easy now and yea its okay but I just want more. Its kinda a competition between me and a buddy of mine and it isn't a daily that is why I just want power. The goal is to be on 16 psi but everyone says not to have a psi goal so i figured i would just make it arond 400

Good, at least you understand that much. Settin a PSI goal doesnt do any good lol. If your tryin to make 400 horse quick and easy, you can get by without sleeves. Just know, your pushin it already so addin more power could cause big problems. Like I said earlier pistons, rods, and ARP at the minimum for your goal.

Yea i'm not a complete noob just when it comes to the specifics on building a motor. I'm just trying to get a feel in what everyone thinks and from previous experience what i should do and don't. Also some lil trick and things to look out for. Does anyone know anything about them crower cams if I can use them or stick with stock

Its been stated far more times than it should have to be:
The tune is the most important aspect of your build aside from the parts themselves.

OP: Match the cams you are going to use with the rest of your setup. Some cams will work better for certain apps than others. If you are going to turbo it, I would check and look for stuff like lift and duration. From all the articles and posts I have read on various sites, GSR cams seem to be a popular choice among NA and FI builders.

OP: Match the cams you are going to use with the rest of your setup. Some cams will work better for certain apps than others. If you are going to turbo it, I would check and look for stuff like lift and duration. From all the articles and posts I have read on various sites, GSR cams seem to be a popular choice among NA and FI builders.

yup, especially when your on a budget. if not then go and get some nice S2's or crower turbo cams.

Yea it is currently on boost. how will i know what duration and lift to use. I didn't buy them cams they are in a spare motor i bought to build while still driving the other motor

Im not gunna give you any numbers, but in a turbo cam you want high lift and short duration. That is, when you compare it to a N/A cam.

If I use gsr cams do I have to change anything else in the ls head. I am going to do valve seals, springs/dual springs and retainers. Can I just buy ls head parts if I use gsr cams?

What do you mean LS head parts? You say your gunna do seals, springs, retainers and all that. The only thing left is valves.

From all the articles and posts I have read on various sites, GSR cams seem to be a popular choice among NA and FI builders.

:werd: Using GSR cams myself.

He is building an LS.

OP, my friend has a n LSVTEC with a completly stock B16 head and is making about 400whp on 16psi with a 60-1. If you do decide to buy cams anything higher than a stage1 will require springs, and if you do that then you might as well put new valves in it too.

ef:

I already have crower cams which are stage one. Whichs cams would I see a better out come with, stock or crower the model number is 62402. Thanks

Are the Crowers N/A cams or turbo cams? If the Crowers are turbo cams the will be better than stock, if they are for N/A the stockers will be better.

Stage 1- Street use and mild nitrous.
bullet2.gif
Idle to 7250+ rpm. (up to 12 hp).

Advertised Duration: 259 / 265

Duration @ .050": 203 / 208

Gross Lift w/1.75: 417 / 399

crowers website.

So for pistons what am I looking for forged or aluminum? I've been looking at many different sets. Does it matter if I use sleeves or not? Also what bore should I go with? 81mm or 81.5 and bore .020 over to be on the safe side for fresh metal for the build?

You want forged. As for bore size, that all depends on rather or not you sleeve. You can see my thoughts on rather or not to sleeve at the top of the thread.

Back