Cams For Lsvtec?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ractive78

I read some where that a good setup for an ls/vtec would be to use itr exhaust cams, with ctr intake cams. Is this better than just putting 2 itr cams on? What are the best cams to use?

a ctr intake cam is slightly more aggressive. it really depends on the setup though...although ctr/itr cams would make for a very nice setup on a well built ls/vtec.

I found an ITR with under 35k for 3700 with Engine Transmission
Alternator Starter Compressor Wiring harness, Intake manifold,
Distributor, exhaust manifold normal sensors and ECU . I can most likely get shift
linkage, mounts and axels but I would advise you getting after market
with that setup. If you want the stock ones add 150$.

Should I go with this or still go for ls/vtec?

sounds like a VERY good price on a motor that should cost 1000 more.

i'd just make sure its not stolen...as you don't want a stolen powerplant in your possession.

if its legal...then id' go with the itr. ls/vtec isn't as reliable, and needs to be built correctly for it to make power. i like gsr blocks and type r blocks...ls blocks are designed for less rpm's...less oil flow.

ls/vtec isn't as reliable

Chet, you of all people should know better than that. As with any motor they are as relaible as they are built. I hate seeing this kind of ignorant bullshit posted. Do you have solid, provable numbers that an LS block flows less oil? Or are you just basing that claim on the lack of oil squirters in the LS? Sure an LS block on stock parts probably can't handle 8200 very well, but you would see the same type of failures in a GSR block if you revved it to 9200 on stock parts.

That aside, if the ITR engine is not hot, go that way. You can't beat that deal.

That is a fantastic price. You are going to need a cable to hydro conversion kit Ha Sport has one due out in 3-4 weeks. Or you will need a cable tranny.

GSR water and oil pumps flow more but bolt right up to LS's. IMO the low RPM design of the LS is a reason to go with the ITR or GSR. I would rather not push the factory design too far over it's limits-in terms of RPM at least.

ls/vtec's are not as reliable unless they are built correctly, and even then they have reliability issues. whether its tapping the oil line or just the fact that its an LS block its not designed by honda to accomodate higher rev's. if you talk to any good engine builder they'll tell you a gsr block is infinitely better than an ls block.

and what kind of numbers are you making with your ls/vtec...

a few people have dealt with him so far...and good things were said. give them a call, and talk to the owner, you should get a good idea about them after a 10 minute phone call...

If you qualify that they are not as reliable unless built correctly then you are making a true statement. If you simply say an LSVTEC is unrelaible you are making a false statement. Why is the GSR block infinitely better than an LS block? What makes it so? The oil passages are laid out the same save for the VTEC passage. The coolant runs the same course except for the oil cooler. The GSR has oil squirters. You can add or at least compensate for all of these things in the LS block.

I have no way of knowing what kind of numbers my engine is putting out. The nearest dyno is 2.5 hours drive north. And unlike the folks here that have had their cars dyno'd I do not have a hook up with a shop and I am not rolling in money so even if I could step away from work and school long enough to drive to Albuquerque I can't afford the dyno time. I know that means my engine is not performing up to its potential but my pocket book tells me I have to live with that.

cws13, what do you mean by low RPM design?

I always heard realiabilty problems with the ls and crv-vtec's. Maybe it's the way they are built because I have about 10k. miles on my ls/vtec turbo setup and haven't had a problem yet.

I ran the piss out of my B20/VTEC for a good 45k miles until I blew it up... and that was my fault, not the engine's. When it was pulled apart, the internals looked fine really- except for the piston I melted and the valves that were all crusty (again, my fault). Built correctly, they last a LONG time.

Originally posted by chet@Feb 16 2003, 11:10 PM
a ctr intake cam is slightly more aggressive. it really depends on the setup though...although ctr/itr cams would make for a very nice setup on a well built ls/vtec.

i do believe the CTR exhaust and ITR exhausare exactly the same... its the CTR intake that is more aggressive :)

According to my calculation, I believe Itr let you gain more torque while ctr let you gian more hp. I'm might be wrong...

Originally posted by 2 litre EG+Feb 17 2003, 03:44 AM-->
@Feb 16 2003, 11:10 PM

i do believe the CTR exhaust and ITR exhausare exactly the same... its the CTR intake that is more aggressive :)

:werd: the CTR intake has 3 degrees of more duration

Back