cams in 200whp ls/vtec

S13 Slide

alright, for those people who were able to get atleast 200whp in their ls/vtec set up. what cams did you use? btw right now i have the b16 pr3 pistons and im going to use a b16 head with stock headgasket. my goal would be 200whp. i know im going to need head work and some port matching but i'd just like to know which cams are up to the job. thanks

pills_PMD

Super Moderator
is this monster going to be streetable?? if not.. skunk stage 3's , jun stage 3's...

my friend has an ls/vtec that put down 180 with CTR cams... on stock LS internals too. he was a homo and didn't build it right.. he had somebody do it, and paid too much...

lsvtec

GNU/Linux Evangelist
With B16 pistons and CTR cams with some gear tuning you should be close to 200. I assume you have an aftermarket header. If that setup doesn't get you there then add a Skunk2 IM that should do it.

S13 Slide

yeah i'd like to have it somewhat streetable, im going with a 4-1 header w/ 2.5 collector and a skunk2 or itr manafold. so the ctr's would be able to do the job? i'd like to be over 200whp but id figure that would be a realistic goal. what about aftermarket cams? and i already have my ls block built. tried the all motor ls, with crower 404's. kinda ruff driving under 3k. thats why not the stroker kit. thanks

B16

Super Moderator
VIP
i say get the skunk2 stage 2's, from what i hear, they are the best for their money... remember to get their springs and retainers and sprockets too :)

phunky.buddha

Admin with a big stick
Admin
VIP
I'm only making 185whp, but that's with an all stock B16 head on a B20 block. The head is basically choking the engine. My shop made 265whp on a B20/VTEC with Skunk2 Stage 2 cams, some crazy head work, and good tuning. I'm not tuned to 100%, so there's power left as is- but with any set of aftermarket cams I'd easily be well over 200whp.

B16

Super Moderator
VIP
Originally posted by Calesta@Oct 16 2002, 02:58 PM
I'm only making 185whp, but that's with an all stock B16 head on a B20 block. The head is basically choking the engine. My shop made 265whp on a B20/VTEC with Skunk2 Stage 2 cams, some crazy head work, and good tuning. I'm not tuned to 100%, so there's power left as is- but with any set of aftermarket cams I'd easily be well over 200whp.

what on earth are you waiting for??? i'd take out a loan to finish that :D

S13 Slide

Originally posted by Calesta@Oct 16 2002, 05:58 PM

whats parts are you using in your block? what comp? thanks

phunky.buddha

Admin with a big stick
Admin
VIP
Originally posted by B16+Oct 16 2002, 06:01 PM-->
what on earth are you waiting for??? i'd take out a loan to finish that :D

I'm looking at realistically $4000 or so to 'finish' my setup. I still have some debt to pay off, plus I don't have the time to do it right now... so I'm not. Not yet. Phillip's bottom end is identical to mine save the crank girdle (I don't have one), so I should be able to make similar power with the same head setup. He said he still had some power to gain, and that 265whp was with a 3 foot straight pipe in place of cat/exhaust, so I'm hoping I can get 250whp out of mine.

pissedoffsol
@Oct 16 2002, 06:48 PM
click the link in his sig.....

Thanks Brian.

There's actually a correction that I need to make on that page- I'm running 12.6:1 compression, not 12.5:1. I finally got the numbers I needed from Endyn and did the calculations myself... 12.6 is the actual compression.

knowledge

True. If I was you calesta then I would stay N/A. But for a guy with a stock motor and nothing done to it yet I say it is cheaper to turbo it. Plus you would get quicker results from it that going N/A.

phunky.buddha

Admin with a big stick
Admin
VIP
Yup. If I already had a D16 SOHC VTEC in there, I would have just dropped a turbo on it, and that probably would have been it. Since I had a POS D15B7 in there, it had to come out... and it's a little expensive to drop a B series in and turbo at the same time.