cams on a stock engine

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civiclxb16

ok here is the deal i am working with a friend of mine and i am looking at ctr/itr(00) cams for my b16. now what i was wondering is, can i keep my stock valves and valve springs with these cams being that is all i am going to do with my head for now. will it be ok or do i need to totally rebuild my head if i go with those cams?

you can keep the valves and valve springs, although most reccomend to change them. I had stock valves with CTR springs and ITR retainers. they can be had relatively cheap and will provide extra security.

but changing the valves and valve springs that looks very hard to do or am i just to scared! i can build you a block tho..lol

Originally posted by civiclxb16@Jan 19 2005, 07:52 AM
but changing the valves and valve springs that looks very hard to do or am i just to scared! i can build you a block tho..lol
[post=447953]Quoted post[/post]​

Its not too bad, id say pull the head and take it to someone though. Just don't try to change the valve train with the head on.

Originally posted by pills_PMD@Jan 19 2005, 07:58 AM
you can keep the valves and valve springs, although most reccomend to change them. I had stock valves with CTR springs and ITR retainers. they can be had relatively cheap and will provide extra security.
[post=447935]Quoted post[/post]​

I would have to agree with Pills. I would also just go with valve springs & retainers I don't believe you would need to change out the valves.

yeah i know but i want to learn how to do it also so maybe next winter i will be doing that, i want to drive my civic this spring and summer at the same time i will be working on the boosting. but if i take my time i could do it right? i mean i was told the same thing about my block but i was able to build it and it is perfect took it to a shop just for them to test it and check it the guy offered me a job! but i want to learn how do to that so i can tear down an engine and build it right back up, but back to the topic if i was to change the cams i can still keep the stock b16 valves and springs until like the winter or should i do it all at the same time?

its not hard to change the cams...i would do it...

Originally posted by civiclxb16+Jan 19 2005, 03:54 PM-->
if i was to change the cams i can still keep the stock b16 valves and springs until like the winter or should i do it all at the same time?
[post=448177]Quoted post[/post]​

It's better to do it all at once, but you can wait if you really want to- just don't raise the redline, and be careful when you're driving. :)

formby
@Jan 19 2005, 04:14 PM
its not hard to change the cams...i would do it...
[post=448194]Quoted post[/post]​

Took me about an hour, and that was pausing to drink water, take pictures, label stuff... it's not too hard at all.

Changing out cams is easy.

You can use the stock B16A valvetrain, but just don't rev over 8200. I have had CTR cams for a while on the stock valvetrain, and it is fine as long as you are responsible.

well this is what i was able to get for a great deal too

00 itr cams not as agressive as the ctr but it is better then the 230 lift i have now, i wasn't planning on going even close to 8000 rpms i usally shift at around 7000 and right now my ecu is getting chipped and i will have it tuned after i get the complete exhaust i am saving for. so with the b16 with itr cams header (dc) and ram air intake i should be good right? hopefully break the 14s in the 1/4 mile

yup. swapping cams is pretty darn easy.
i've done it about 3 times now and on average it takes me about 1-1.5 hours. but i stop in the middle and rest/goof around/inspect everything.

IMO, the part that takes the longest(the part i hate the most) is getting the timing belt back on the cam gears. it's a bit of a pain. i've never been able to get it on the correct tooth on my first try, normally take me 2-3 times before it's dead on.

well the cams are on the way today so it should be here by monday and i will put them in next weekend and i will let you guys know how it works hopefully i will get my ecu at the same time

remeber to use the specs when tightening everything down when your done!! and be sure u time it good :thumbsup: Good luck bro

Back