Can I couple OBD0 with OBD1?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

peanut

I am planning to swap my TD40U which is coupled to an OBD0 ecu with either a TD41U or 42U for an mpfi swap.

So in summary can I use an OBD0 ecu with an OBD1 dis? What incompatibility issues exist?

the short answer is no.

If you are using a 92-95 ECU, you need a 92-00 distributor. I say 92-00 becuase the OBD2 stuff works just fine, but requires repinning of the connectors.

If you are using a 88-91 MPFI ECU (PM6, 90-91 PR4, etc.) you need a 88-91 MPFI distributor.

The only real exception to these rules (*possibly*) is the 90-91(or is it 88-89?) preludes... I believe they use a physical connector like a OBD0 distributor but have a reluctor like an OBD1 distributor basically making them a plug and play OBD1 distributor for OBD0 cars. If you are indeed thinking of going this route, email me to verify that it is indeed the case. I'd want to check my notes before you went plugging away.

Originally posted by radnulb@Nov 5 2003, 12:40 PM
the short answer is no.

If you are using a 92-95 ECU, you need a 92-00 distributor. I say 92-00 becuase the OBD2 stuff works just fine, but requires repinning of the connectors.

If you are using a 88-91 MPFI ECU (PM6, 90-91 PR4, etc.) you need a 88-91 MPFI distributor.

The only real exception to these rules (*possibly*) is the 90-91(or is it 88-89?) preludes... I believe they use a physical connector like a OBD0 distributor but have a reluctor like an OBD1 distributor basically making them a plug and play OBD1 distributor for OBD0 cars. If you are indeed thinking of going this route, email me to verify that it is indeed the case. I'd want to check my notes before you went plugging away.

I will be using an '89 PG7 obd0 ecu with an obd1 vtec d16z6 dizzy which is very available over here.

On the obd0 mpfi dizzy, I notice 2 plugs, one has 2 wires, another 7 wires. On the obd1 vtec dizzy, the plugs are squarish and grey but has the same number of wires and colour codings. If I swap with this dizzy, I only need to change a plug, re-pin 5 wires and solder 2 wires.

When you say a reluctor is in the obd1 dizzy, it becomes usable with the obd0 ecu as in the case of preludes. Is the component electrical output of the obd0 ecu and obd1 dizzy different that makes them incompatible?

In fact I have a 96-00 obd2 dizzy, it has 8 wires on only one plug. Is this even more difficult to re-pin on an obd-1 dizzy which has a total of 9-wires to the ecu.

If I do couple the pg7 with the vtec dizzy what is the outcome?

forget it. you CANNOT CANNOT CANNOT use a OBD1 distributor with an OBD0 ECU. result = misfire, codes, mayhem.

I guess they are right...you won't be able to use it...but I used an OBD-2 dizzy on my OBD-1 car with OBD-1 ecu and harness.....all I did was cut the plug from my old OBD-1 dizzy and solder it to my OBD-2 Distributor replacing the plug from the OBD-2 of course...and it works fine for me...but maybe obd-0 is a lot different...so if some say yes and some say no then might as well just go the safe way and don't do it

if you don't know, STFU.

OBD0 Civic/Integra MPFI = 16 tooth reluctor wheel, OBD0 plug
OBD1 = 24 tooth reluctor wheel, OBD1 plug
OBD2 = 24 tooth reluctor wheel, OBD2 plug

I mentioned the prelude dizzies because I'm fairly sure they have a 24 tooth reluctor wheel like OBD1/2 but an OBD0 plug.

Teeth = pulses
pulses tell ECU how fast motor is spinning. see the issue with OBD0 vs OBD1/OBD2 yet?

Back