Can your boss fire you for interviewing for a different job?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Being fresh on the subject.....It is perfectly legal to fire someone for almost anything in washington state. We're an Employment at Will State. That means at any time, either party can end the employment relationship if there were no express contract defining the relationship and the employee does not belong to a collective bargaining unit (union, association, etc).

I doubt your GF belonged to an secretary or optometrist union, and had a specific contract until the end of the month when the "shop" shuts its doors.

She's not my GF. Lacey's just a friend. Cassie's my GF, sorry just had to make that correction.

Oh my bad.

Yes, and most of the time you can still collect unemployment if you are fired.

Here in Michigan, unless you are fired for attendance or theft you can still collect. And even at that, the employer has to take it to an appeal in order for you not to receive the benefits.

Your best bet is to still keep it to yourself if you're interviewing or seeking other positions.

So if you are fired for theft can you collect your unemployment while in jail?

no.

when you are let go (fired or otherwise) you need to go to a hearing to collect your unemployment UNLESS you have a return to work date. If you got fired for legit reasons, they can deny your unemployment. stealing is certainly one of them

never ever ever ever ever ever even hint that you're looking elsewhere.

if you need time off for an interview, Aunt sally passed away. or something else.
Word. I say I have an endocrinologist appointment. Look at my records, I have ulcers. Or I'm going to the dentist. I had an employer once say, "I swear to god you must have the healthiest teeth in the state."

when you are let go (fired or otherwise) you need to go to a hearing to collect your unemployment UNLESS you have a return to work date. If you got fired for legit reasons, they can deny your unemployment. stealing is certainly one of them

This is incorrect. If you are "let go", whether fired or layed off, all you have to do is go to your friendly internet to file your unemployment claim. In Michigan, you are required to go to the "unemployment office" one time to certify your claim. After that, all it takes is a phone call every 2 weeks to collect your $362 a week. If everyone had a hearing to attend, there would literally be millions of hearings taking place across the country, and it's just not possible.

The only time a hearing would take place in this state is if the employer somehow appealed and claimed you were fired for cause, and even at that, most of the time they lose.

Here in washington, you have to do job location classes and such.

I got "laid" off for 3 weeks a couple years ago because we got slow and I filed unemployment. I got so much paper work (like 2 inches thick), I said eff it, and pounded the streets until I found another short term gig until my other job started back up.

Back