Car won't start.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Setup;

Car: 1992 Civic Si
Engine: b16a2
Turbo Kit: Rev Hard
Fuel: RC 440's, Walbro In-Tank, Stock FPR
Engine Management: Hondata / Base Map

Ok, here we go. A year ago I parked this car in the garage. It ran fine, started like it was stock. I pulled it into the garage and it sat.
Here we are a year later and I go to start the car for the first time. It just cranks, doesn't even try to start. It just turns over and over. So we start the diagnostics.

I figure the gas is bad. It is a year old and all. But I didn't think bad gasoline would cause the car not to start. I figure i'd run bad, but run. So I put in a few gallons of new gas. No luck.
I then check for fuel, pull the plugs and they're wet. Probably fouled, so I replace them. No luck.
I then check for spark, spark it there, but seems a little weak. But I could be paranoid. So I grab another distributor of my friends car that works fine. No luck.
So here we are, Now all I can think is timing. But we didn't adjust the timing while it was parked. Who knows. Maybe it has something to do with the Hondata/ECU? We're stumped.

Any suggestions? I'm sure it's something simple and easy to fix, im just missing it.

Thanks.......

my guess is that since it has ben sitting so long, you just have to keep cranking it. it'll eventually start. it happens all the time when i do swaps. but then again some of those motors could have been sitting for over 5 years

Originally posted by B16RacerN2NR@Jun 19 2004, 02:34 AM
my guess is that since it has ben sitting so long, you just have to keep cranking it. it'll eventually start. it happens all the time when i do swaps. but then again some of those motors could have been sitting for over 5 years

We've cranked it for quite a while.

get out the ol' breaker bar... and turn it over on the crank pulley by hand.
if its like impossible to move, remove spark plugs- dump a couple drops of oil into the plug wells.... turn by hand a few more times till it gets easier,
replace plugs, try starting it again.
drive around the block, smoking for a couple miles :D

Tonight we did the following;

1.) Put a new distributor on from a working car. Has Spark. No Luck, just cranks and cranks.
2.) Dropped in some oil in each Cyl. No luck.
2.) Installed a stock P72 ECU from NickQ's car and bypassed Hondata. No Luck
3.) Installed stock GSR Injectors and took out the RC 440's. No Luck
4.) Opened up the exhaust, straight Downpipe. No Luck.
5.) Swapped Fuel Pressure Regulators w/ Nicks Car. No Luck.

Next steps we'll try.

1.) Change the Fuel Filter. It's farily old.
2.) Siphon the old gas out of the tank and put in fresh gasoline.
3.) New plugs, again.

But now we have oil in the cyl. I hope that doesn't affect it from starting and foul out the plugs, again.

My opinion it must be something to do with the Gasoline or Timing, but the timing didn't change from a year ago. The motor was never worked on? It just sat. So it has to be the gas.

We're stumped guys.

Back