Cheat on sales tax or not?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phyregod

!!YTINASNI
Well, As most of you know I purchased a 92 civic recently for $2700 bucks. I need to go pay tax, title, and license on the thing.

Thing is, tax is going to cost around $170. But if I lie, and say I purchased the car for like 1000.00, I could save myself 100 bucks!..

Now, can they track these things? Every time I've purchased a car, they just ask how much I paid.. There is no documentation to proove otherwise.

I even thought about saying I bought it for $270.00, that way, if it ever came back, I could claim that the clerk made a typo.

I dunno, $100 bucks is $100 bucks, but there is no way in hell I'd even try it if it could come back on me.

Thoughts??

When my dad bought his vette he told the lady straight up he paid 13,000 for it and the lady that worked for the DMV said "Oh alright I see you paid 9,500 that will be X amount of dollars" Just have the person you bought the car from write a bill of sale for less then you actually paid for it. They cant call you or him a liar really unless they want to go balls to the wall and check both of your bank acount history. Im sure people do this all of the time.

who did you purchase the car form?

if its from a dealer then be very wary.

actually if its from a dealer they should have charged sales tax...

so the individual you bought it from, is this person the kind of person that will go to the bank that day and deposit the whole 2700? or were they going to make a down payment for 2700?

chances are VERY slim this will come back to haunt you...
don't go too far below fair market value or they might ask you questions, and if they don;t believe your story they might charge you tax on the FMV anyway...

Bah, its not me posting anyway, someone stole my password.. Geez man.

I did purchase the vehicle from an individual, and I paid cash. The only document she has is a non-notarized hand written bill of sale.

Also, fair market value on the car is only like 1500 bucks from a private party. Well, according to KBB anyway. Should I only be required to pay tax on the FMV or the entire thing?

The only document she has is a non-notarized hand written bill of sale.

why does SHE have the bill of sale? :blink:

Should I only be required to pay tax on the FMV or the entire thing?

you are required to pay sales tax on the purchase price, unless it was a gift or you paid well below FMV(considered a gift from that individual) then they can charge you sales tax on the FMV of the vehicle...

also: don;t use 1K, use 950 or something

and why did you pay 2700???

Originally posted by reckedracing@Sep 14 2005, 04:02 PM
The only document she has is a non-notarized hand written bill of sale.

why does SHE have the bill of sale? :blink:

Should I only be required to pay tax on the FMV or the entire thing?

you are required to pay sales tax on the purchase price, unless it was a gift or you paid well below FMV(considered a gift from that individual) then they can charge you sales tax on the FMV of the vehicle...

also: don;t use 1K, use 950 or something

and why did you pay 2700???
[post=554531]Quoted post[/post]​

Thats how much those lil fuckers cost around here. Hell, I got a great deal.

**edit** she drew up two "bill of sale"s.. she kept one. And she was rich as hell, so I'm kinda fearing that she'll somehow use it as a tax deduction or something and report it.

because Hondas in good condition go for way more than blue book value.

The Civic I'm looking at this weekend will be 2800 bucks - but it's got some bolt ons.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Sep 14 2005, 04:05 PM
because Hondas in good condition go for way more than blue book value.

The Civic I'm looking at this weekend will be 2800 bucks - but it's got some bolt ons.
[post=554534]Quoted post[/post]​

hell, mine has front end damage.. I still think I got a great deal.
*edit* nothing deeper than the rad support, and NO structural damage at all, BTW..

** I suppose I should type everything that I want to type before hitting the "submit post" button.

i never tell them how much i really paid. in CT if the car is 7 years or newer you automatically have to pay tax on book value even if you really only paid half of it. also if you dont have a bill of sale signed by the seller they will charge you book value.

dont worry about it they arent going to go out of thier way to find out how much you really paid.

what's the mileage on yours?

the one I'm looking at is a '95 coupe with 180k. drivetrain's strong, owner has some maintenance records. Has an ebay intake, plug wires, greddy header and catback (all brand new). Has one little spot in the quarter behind the driver's door where the paint is chipping off from old bodywork, but it's like a quarter sized chip.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Sep 14 2005, 04:09 PM
what's the mileage on yours?

the one I'm looking at is a '95 coupe with 180k. drivetrain's strong, owner has some maintenance records. Has an ebay intake, plug wires, greddy header and catback (all brand new). Has one little spot in the quarter behind the driver's door where the paint is chipping off from old bodywork, but it's like a quarter sized chip.
[post=554538]Quoted post[/post]​

140 K. Other than the front end damage, the car has like 3 nickle sized dings and one scratch. Immaculate condition for the age of the car. its a CX though.. Slow like your 110 year old grandmother after she broke both hips.

Ouch. That's even high for the northwest with a mashed front end.

I've never seen a gray civic in person before though. Seeing one in that color is weird, because I want one in that color. :p

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Sep 14 2005, 04:16 PM
Ouch. That's even high for the northwest with a mashed front end.

I've never seen a gray civic in person before though. Seeing one in that color is weird, because I want one in that color. :p
[post=554546]Quoted post[/post]​

Phantom Gray Pearl.. Dead sexy IMHO... And the pearl is REALLY light, so only once in a great while, it shines a little purpleish color through. Neet stuff.

i bought my car for less than what it was worth, so ... :p

i paid 1300, the car booked at 1500. its now worth 900.

Yeah, Chris. all it takes is for you to own it and the value takes a nosedive lol

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Sep 14 2005, 04:23 PM
Yeah, Chris. all it takes is for you to own it and the value takes a nosedive lol
[post=554553]Quoted post[/post]​

fo sho!!! :lol:

you pay sales tax when the car is bought new, then you pay it again each time you buy it used. I never would do it, *wink. It makes sense that you should not pay sales tax since the car was already sold with it once.

In PA, if you don't have the bill of sale, you can just tell them how much it was.. I paid umm, $200 for my old porsche, tax was $12. I put that I paid 500 for each one of my civics, tax was $30 each.

They don't fuck with you unless it's a new car..

Back