CIS major specialization

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

redxalien

i've taken a interest in CIS and i want to major in it at the college i am currently enrolled at . however, they offer three areas of specialization, which i am not sure which one i want to go into . they are 1. information systems(isc), 2. information technology(ite), and 3. e-commerce . i am not sure what the difference between the three are . the only difference i noticed was that the information systems(isc) curriculum had a mixture of some business classes . i was thinking about majoring in information systems(isc) with maybe a minor in general business . but i didnt know if information technology(ite) or e-commerce was a better field to go into instead of information systems(isc) . so i wanted to know if someone, who is a CIS major or knows a thing or two about it, could provide me with any suggestions/recommendations/pro's/con's which would help me head into the right direction . ok thanks .

I majored in CIS but that was back in 1996...back then it was very computer based....Lots of programming classes, SA & D, and a few netowrking class's...not so much business oriented.....not sure what it would be like today as information and technology is so advanced from 9 years ago.....

IS is more business, yes. basically, if you want to be a technical advisor, or a VP of an internet firm or something, the IS path is where you want to go.

IT is more the hardcore geeks, graphics, programming, software, hardware, networks, etc.

E-commerce, is a new one to me, and frankly, i think that should be a class or 2 tops-- not a concentration.
unless it covers all aspects, like the business model, to developing shopping carts, to ebay, etc... frankly, it sounds like a joke. If i were a hiring manager, and read on your resume that you majored in CIS with concentration in ecommerce, i'd be like, WTF, is he kidding?

So, its all about what you want to be when you grow up. "working with computers" is about as general as saying "I want to be a mechanic".

What kind?

:)

well between IS and IT, do you know which one is a better field to go into ?

i wouldnt mind going into either IS or IT, but i dont want to go into one over the other and then after i graduate, i wont be able to keep a stable job . so i guess what i am asking is do you know if i will be better off majoring with a degree in IS or IT in terms of availability of jobs, income/salary, etc. is one better than the other ?

because from my perspective right now, and from what 1 or 2 people told me, is that IS would be a better field to go into . because its a little more geared to the business aspect than just computers . and that there will always be a need for people involved in business than just people who are programmers .

You joined Hondaswap today, and your first question to us is to make a life-decision in regards to school ?

-> Steve

IMO, IT is a better field to go into.
most IS-realted jobs are upper-tier, middle management and upwards. its hard to get an entry level position when you leave school.
so you end up looking for a more IT related job, you find out that you don't know dick about programming other than your html class, and aren't qualified for it either.

so, i'd go IT.... and maybe minor in buisness?

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 15 2005, 12:26 PM
most IS-realted jobs are upper-tier, middle management and upwards.  its hard to get an entry level position when you leave school.
so you end up looking for a more IT related job, you find out that you don't know dick about programming other than your html class, and aren't qualified for it either. 

so, i'd go IT....  and maybe minor in buisness?
[post=526716]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

Do you want to be the guy who does all teh technical physical IT work or the guy who tells people to do the physical IT stuff :)

I've put in 10 years to get to approach the necessary qualifications of management.

Go technical first - Because a flat out business degree won't get you there.

-> Steve

Also, being able to demonstrate at all times is par for the course. Demonstrate project work, budget analysis and how much you have saved the company. And be prepared to rattle it off like a soldier.

I agree with what everyone has said. Im goin to school for CNS/ISS (Computer Network Security/Information System Security) Once I get my degree and several years of experince under my belt. I plan on going back and getting a degree in buisness so I can effectivly manage my own buisness one day. But that is way down the line after I have done the corperate thing. Its really up to you though. Just think about what you wana do, talk to your department heads and go from there. Best of luck to you.

Jeramy

Originally posted by Celerity+Jul 15 2005, 11:55 AM-->
You joined Hondaswap today, and your first question to us is to make a life-decision in regards to school ?

-> Steve
[post=526636]Quoted post[/post]​

haha sorry i am a member but i couldn't remember my user name so i had to start a new one .

Originally posted by corvetteguy@Jul 15 2005, 02:10 PM
pissedoffsol
@Jul 15 2005, 12:26 PM
most IS-realted jobs are upper-tier, middle management and upwards.  its hard to get an entry level position when you leave school.

so, i'd go IT....  and maybe minor in buisness?
[post=526716]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

Do you want to be the guy who does all teh technical physical IT work or the guy who tells people to do the physical IT stuff :)
[post=526760]Quoted post[/post]​

so are you disagreeing corvetteguy ? are you implying that i should go into IS instead of IT ?

ok . if i decide to major in IT, would a minor in general business really help me ?

and thanks for everyone's input so far . you guys are really helpful .

-> Steve
[post=526636]Quoted post[/post]​

haha sorry i am a member but i couldn't remember my user name so i had to start a new one .

Yeah, I guess there are about 38,300 or so users here that don't post :)

I.T. Management has NOTHING to do with technical ability - it DOES have something to do with technical achievement. Project leads, huge dev projects, and roll-outs are the only way to get into the door actually APPLYING what you've learned.

do you happen to know what job positions/titles do people with IS and IT degrees hold ? because i couldnt find anything when i typed in IS/IT as a search and i dont really know what to search for . i want to make a comparison or a list of pros/cons concerning employment opportunities, income/salary, etc., between the two majors .

Back