Civic motor in a 91 Accord

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

kainnon

Okay my Honda think tank. Completely ignore price on anything involved in this, cause aside from mounts, brackets, and possible cv axles, I have everything needed.

So, my theory is, I can put my R18 motor (with transmission) out of my 2007 civic in my 1991 accord.

Only reason is that it needs a motor, I want something modern in the car and I have one here on hand from my beat@$$ civic.

My reasoning for being able to put this in, is from what all I can see or have seen is that the R18 and a K20 use the same mounts to exclude torque mounts. A K20 isn't much different from a K24 on the outside, and there are swaps to put them (K24's) in CD Accords. An engine bay in a CD is no(t) much different from that of a CB7.

Feel free to point out any flaws in this logic cause I need to get this done soon if it can be for reasons.

terrible idea from any way you look at it , not only are they completely different chassis with no swap support but its a superrr weak engine and only makes 138 crank horsepower stock (lower power than a much cheaper h22 swap) , if you have a 07 civic enjoy the 07 civic

terrible idea from any way you look at it , not only are they completely different chassis with no swap support but its a superrr weak engine and only makes 138 crank horsepower stock (lower power than a much cheaper h22 swap) , if you have a 07 civic enjoy the 07 civic
Well, I'm not too concerned with that, power and output. I'm just interested in knowing will that kit to swap work? I'm asking is anywhere in what I said above wrong?
Are the motor and trans mounts the same across the three motors? Are the engine bays (close enough) the same?

no the engine bays are in no way shape or form the same in any means at all from any mounting point it would require fully fabricated engine and trans mounts and linkage and have to have custom cv axles and hubs made or retrofitted , it would be thousands upon thousands of dollars (saying doing self at that) to put a 138hp swap into your 91 accord

no the engine bays are in no way shape or form the same in any means at all from any mounting point it would require fully fabricated engine and trans mounts and linkage and have to have custom cv axles and hubs made or retrofitted , it would be thousands upon thousands of dollars (saying doing self at that) to put a 138hp swap into your 91 accord
How far do they differ? Is there that much of a difference in mounts on the motors or are you talking about the engine bays? They both use F series.

Maybe everyone here is stuck up on performance, power, and speed. Those aren't my motives. Mine strictly is, does it fit or will it fit. And if so, what's needed.
I don't mean to sound like I'm condescending, cause you clearly have more knowledge on the subject, but what I'm asking for is what is needed for this job. Not 20 reasons why it shouldn't or why most can't. Im not doing pros and cons. (And then I just end up typing in circles.)

As stated above NO SWAP MOUNTS AVAILABLE, kseries k20/k24 are interchangeable just like f/h , but the R20 has 0 swap support let alone wiring/harness support , there isnt a single part that will transfer and bolt up from 91 accord to 07 civic , completely different chassis front to rear 110% will not work, again as stated every single mount will have to be converted then the entire engine/chassis harness will have to be swapped witht he 07 because your car is obd0 and the civic is obd2b , then custom hubs/brakes and custom axles, easily probably a easy way spend thousands and thousands to make under 150 hp, this is a glass pipe fantasy and isnt going to happen, you can get a direct bolt in swap for less and make almost 100more hp , youre also talking about putting a weakk 1.8L into a heavy accord chassis that came with a 2.2L stock

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170807-154815.png
    Screenshot_20170807-154815.png
    122.8 KB · Views: 404
As stated above NO SWAP MOUNTS AVAILABLE, kseries k20/k24 are interchangeable just like f/h , but the R20 has 0 swap support let alone wiring/harness support , there isnt a single part that will transfer and bolt up from 91 accord to 07 civic , completely different chassis front to rear 110% will not work, again as stated every single mount will have to be converted then the entire engine/chassis harness will have to be swapped witht he 07 because your car is obd0 and the civic is obd2b , then custom hubs/brakes and custom axles, easily probably a easy way spend thousands and thousands to make under 150 hp, this is a glass pipe fantasy and isnt going to happen, you can get a direct bolt in swap for less and make almost 100more hp , youre also talking about putting a weakk 1.8L into a heavy accord chassis that came with a 2.2L stock
Well, I would have the whole civic already available. I'd just had to get an aftermarket dash of fab my civics into my Accord. Running wires is a super easy task for me if I strip down both cars. If I was really worried about making power, I'd turbo it after the fact. I understand there's no support for the swap otherwise I'd probably have found it by now and wouldn't be trying to cannibalize different swaps to make on work.
The brakes and hubs, I've been brainstorming ideas on that. And axles, I'd be stuck to either build my own or find a swap that works.
And I figured nothing would bolt straight up. Even in a k24 into a CD, they had to order/make brackets to fit. And had to cut and weld the olds out and the news in.

I'm a visual person so, maybe nothing anyone sends to me on here will make sense and I'm a lost cause. But oh well.
I do appreciate your time and response. It's had good bit of info I could pick from to try and see the bigger picture. What I get hung up on is where your saying I'd have to convert my mounts. If you mean use something that looks nothing oem and replace my bracket in the bay to make that fit, that's what I'm was trying to find out all along. (Just probably going assbackwards about it. I tend to do that with written words more than anything.)
So let me start over then.
What I want to know, is what do I need to do to make the damned thing fit. I need no reasons why not to do it. No stats on other motors to be better. Just a lit of parts or a walk through or just other ideas even on what will MAKE it fit. I'll deal with everything else.
The only thing I'm going to weigh as cons to see if I continue is what is needed to make it go.

you need to fabricate every single mount location and crossmember for the engine and transmission to set into the car, if you set the r18 into the accord engine bay not a single mount location is going to line up with factory or even be relatively close

you need to fabricate every single mount location and crossmember for the engine and transmission to set into the car, if you set the r18 into the accord engine bay not a single mount location is going to line up with factory or even be relatively close
Ok. I think I'm on the same page then.
Would something like get me closer if I use these parts or not at all? Hoping I can either copy or just place in the brackets and mounts he's using. Understanding I'll have to test for a bunch if so, but would this get me one step closer so I'm not just fabing everything and/or blindly from scratch?

Attachments

• IMG_0399.PNG
    IMG_0399.PNG
    197.3 KB · Views: 486
that is custom fabricated also going d to r , f to r would be completely different

not to mention the car is going to throw 50 billion emission codes not having any of the evap system
They say boosting an r18 is pretty easy and will push quite of bit of hp even one on of the basic of tunes. "It's on the internet, it must be true."
But im a one step at a time. If it makes it in the accord, then boost. If not, don't worry about it.
Where there a will, there's a way. So I wouldn't worry too much about the EVAP.

I know you said not to try and talk you out of this, and I won't (maybe). I'm just wondering why, though? I mean, your initial post makes it seem like you have a 91 Accord chassis that needs an engine, and a beat up 2007 Civic with a decent engine and you're hoping to somewhat easily assemble a working car for yourself. Later on though, you talk about boosting like you're envisioning a unique project car. So which is it?
-
I mean, with enough time, money, and knowledge, anything is possible. And if you're looking for something very unique, then sure, I guess this fits the bill. If you're just looking for a running car though, or even a running car with a significant engine upgrade, there are so many easier/better options. Any H or F-series (aside from the S2K motors) will basically bolt in. They make mounts, harnesses, and axles for K-series swaps as well. So much of what you're proposing would have to be customized. I just don't see the point unless you're Hell-bent on having the most obscure Honda engine swap out there...

EDIT: Also, that swap in to the Civic kind of makes sense. It's a much newer Civic engine in to an older Civic chassis. In to an Accord though? Why? Like Dilbeck said, you're actually swapping to a smaller motor than stock. I just don't see the point when you can just drop in and bolt up an H22, instantly gain 60-70 horsepower, and retain/gain torque.

Last edited:
I know you said not to try and talk you out of this, and I won't (maybe). I'm just wondering why, though? I mean, your initial post makes it seem like you have a 91 Accord chassis that needs an engine, and a beat up 2007 Civic with a decent engine and you're hoping to somewhat easily assemble a working car for yourself. Later on though, you talk about boosting like you're envisioning a unique project car. So which is it?
-
I mean, with enough time, money, and knowledge, anything is possible. And if you're looking for something very unique, then sure, I guess this fits the bill. If you're just looking for a running car though, or even a running car with a significant engine upgrade, there are so many easier/better options. Any H or F-series (aside from the S2K motors) will basically bolt in. They make mounts, harnesses, and axles for K-series swaps as well. So much of what you're proposing would have to be customized. I just don't see the point unless you're Hell-bent on having the most obscure Honda engine swap out there...

EDIT: Also, that swap in to the Civic kind of makes sense. It's a much newer Civic engine in to an older Civic chassis. In to an Accord though? Why? Like Dilbeck said, you're actually swapping to a smaller motor than stock. I just don't see the point when you can just drop in and bolt up an H22, instantly gain 60-70 horsepower, and retain/gain torque.
It a bit of having something different I guess. Boosting it later would be an idea if, and probably likely fact, that the motor lacks power to be efficient in the car like dilbeckskate originally said. But I'm wanting to get rid of the civic and I want to get my accord moving again. So, figured why not? If all fails, accord will be empty and ready for a k swap and the civic will already be apart to be parted out. Not really loosing anything but time since most parts will be there on hand.

And another thing about the boost is that I'll want to rebuild the motor to make it last long as not to have completely have wasted my time. Not better time to build than then, right?

But even then, moving the conversation to where I wanted it to go after pointing out the "flaws" in my plan, being that I won't be able to use mount/swap kits from others...
What is a good plan of attack or does someone, as left field as me have "blueprints" to follow?
All of anything I've seen to swap things into things too old or where never originally designed to fit have all been in RWD trucks and hot rods. Same principle?

there is now swap kits, there is no blueprints, drop the glass pipe dream the type of $$$ you are talking about spending you can go buy a muchhh nicer faster car

But even then, moving the conversation to where I wanted it to go after pointing out the "flaws" in my plan, being that I won't be able to use mount/swap kits from others...
What is a good plan of attack or does someone, as left field as me have "blueprints" to follow?
All of anything I've seen to swap things into things too old or where never originally designed to fit have all been in RWD trucks and hot rods. Same principle?

Yeah, basically. You're looking at custom everything at this point. Custom mounts, custom harness, etc.

Why you y'all hatin for I mean if the dude wants to that to his cars then let him I mean it's no different then some guy putting a ls6 in a damn Porsche....I say go for it I support cause in the end people are assholes and they always criticize you for everything you do you wanna waste your money by it doing a "unpopular engine/trans swap" go for it and best advice I ever received from my "mom" "Do what makes you happy"!

Why you y'all hatin for I mean if the dude wants to that to his cars then let him I mean it's no different then some guy putting a ls6 in a damn Porsche....I say go for it I support cause in the end people are assholes and they always criticize you for everything you do you wanna waste your money by it doing a "unpopular engine/trans swap" go for it and best advice I ever received from my "mom" "Do what makes you happy"!
totally different than putting a LS in a porche they make drop in and bolt up kits for them all the way to the 60s and thats actually talking about something nice, its not about what makes him happy it isnt going to happen everyone here knows these threads are dumb as shit and dude doesnt have the $$$ or the knowledge on what it takes or what is required to do such and obviously neither do you, again if had the $$$ to do this conversion than has the $$$ to buy a nicer chassis or something already fast I mean shit you see boosted civics go for $3500-4000 now and thats a sliver of what it would take to actually put that engine in the car and get it running and moving under its own power

Back