Civic with H22 wont start :/

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

redxcobrax

God member
So I've got a 94 civic hatch with a jdm H22a. and I dont drive it daily but start it several times a week. I premium (93 or 97 octane?) gas. Never had any type of issue with the car. I parked it and today I try to start it but it wont. The battery is fine, its gettin fuel, and its cranks but just wont start. after a while I smell fuel too, but theres no leaks or anything. I havent checked the spark plugs yet, but any ideas guys? its 40 degrees here so i know it isnt that cold.

So it cranks and holds? Or cranks and flops over? If not the plugs, check the wires. If it smells like gas you could have a leak somewhere down the fuel line, check under the car to see any 'wet' spots. Not starting is (mostly) either the ignition, battery, plugs, or engine itself. Process of elimination my friend.

well i dont have the fuse diagram for the under dash. so i wanted to see if there was a fuse for the coil or not. anyone got the diagram? and whats an icm?

alright well ill check those two things out. the coil is internal on the JDM H22a right? So do i have to replace the whole dizzy and where is the ICM at?

my car did the same and the rotor inside the distributor was done so u might wanna check that out.. i ended up buying a whole new distributor

check for spark, it's easy to do and free...

hey bro, I had the same problem with a JDM H22A in my accord that I just bought, it was working fine and one morning it did not start, let me know if you still need help, I can email you a print out from a on-line manual program I bought that gives you a detail blueprint for the dizzy on a H22A and where the ignition coil and icm are located, plus they can test the icm for free @ O'Reily's or Autozone and give you a base test comparison from a new coil to your old one...although they cannot test voltage output on it. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Well I went to autozone and got a cap and rotor for a 1996 2.2L vtec prelude. The cap is a little different than whats on the car right now. My motor stamping says H22A and under it it is 1151578 and the clock like stampings the first one is C second one is 9 and the third one is pointing up, so if anyone knows how to identify the correct year of my motor, please help.

rotor/cap

My jdm h22a had a gsr dizzy I believe, when i was trying to purchase the ignition coil we could not match it up to any year prelude and I googled the TAC # on the stock cap and it returned it as a gsr ignition coil, so I ended up asking for a '97 gsr ignition coil and it match up perfect, start with looking up the old part # on the dizzy cap and see what it comes up with. Also have you checked for spark? The old school/free way? Your cap/rotor might still be good, have you taken the ICM to get tested? it's really easy to take out and replace, shoot me a PM and I can send you a diagram that shows you step by step how to do this including the wiring. Good luck!

Ignition coil/ICM

I just read one of your questions up top, the ignition coil is internal, once you remove the cap and rotor, you can slide off a plastic cover and you can see the coil, next to it on the left are a few wires that connect to the ICM that held in by 2 little screws, once you take the wires off and bolts, it will slide right out and then you can go get it tested for free. Mine was good, I got the ignition coil tested with an ohm reader @ autozone and compared it to a new one and decided to get it and it worked out for me.

Hey, Aljeda. I am very intereste in those diagrams as well. I cant PM yet so I was hoping you could possibly email them to me?? Please let me know if youa re willing to do so. I am hoping for ICM and JDM Dizzy diagrams.. Homsangpradit (at) g mail dot com

Back