Clutch system leak

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dman1100

i was driving my 240 in some semi-deep snow the other day and the clutch was feeling looser than usual. i checked it when i got back home and the resevoir was empty. it shifted a lot harder and didn't want to go into gear easily. i've been driving my civic since then. today i went to see if it would move so that i could take a look and find the leak. the clutch pedal just hits the floor and stays there. i was able to lift up the front end and look at the slave cylinder and it was the only part that i could find any moisure on and it is definately clutch fluid. i take the slave off and take it apart and the inner bore looks fine and the piston seals don't seem to be cracked at all. should i just swap the slave out or does anyone have an different idea?

and what type of fluid do you use for the clutch? DOT 3 brake fluid?

yep normal dot 3/4 will work fine. I would say just replace it. Then once you do that, make sure you bleed the system. Have a freind pump the clutch when you add fluid and have the bleeder valve open (on most cars, its a one way valve so you don't have to reopen and close it to bleed. Just open it, stick a tube on it and catch the excess fluid with a bottle. Once your done, close it back up, pump the pedal again, and you should have full pedal

Im not sure it this is applicable on 240s, but a common place in older miatas for hydraulic fluid to leak is from the clutch's slave cylinder. Check there and the master cylinder to see if the seals are still good.

I had the same problem with my 944. One day I went out got in to start my shit up, pressed the pedal and it went to the floor, no pressure no return just dropped.

I ordered a master and slave, got it took me about an hour to put em both in and the pedal felt great after that.

Anyway if you do replace the slave get the master too, if one goes out it's a sign of the other going to go out soon also.

im dealing with this prob in my gsr civic. and it only happend when ive been "playin" with my clutch like dubble clutching playing in the snow trying to shift with out the cluutch. shit other than that its all good. refilled it 2 times bled 2 times. then fine for like a month and then i cant get into 1st. in my case it may be as simple as the top not sitting right. we didnt find any leaks just some brake fluid on the car near the cap but who knows

im dealing with this prob in my gsr civic. and it only happend when ive been "playin" with my clutch like dubble clutching playing in the snow trying to shift with out the cluutch. shit other than that its all good. refilled it 2 times bled 2 times. then fine for like a month and then i cant get into 1st. in my case it may be as simple as the top not sitting right. we didnt find any leaks just some brake fluid on the car near the cap but who knows

why would you do that?

It could be the whole resevoir leaking or cracked or something.

im dealing with this prob in my gsr civic. and it only happend when ive been "playin" with my clutch like dubble clutching

so what exactly is dubble clutching, lol? i can;t wait to hear this

Originally posted by asmallsol@Jan 14 2005, 10:27 AM
yep normal dot 3/4 will work fine. I would say just replace it. Then once you do that, make sure you bleed the system. Have a freind pump the clutch when you add fluid and have the bleeder valve open (on most cars, its a one way valve so you don't have to reopen and close it to bleed. Just open it, stick a tube on it and catch the excess fluid with a bottle. Once your done, close it back up, pump the pedal again, and you should have full pedal
[post=445555]Quoted post[/post]​

The bleeder screws are one way? i didn't realize. thanks a bunch for all of the help guys.

Back