Considering changing careers to IT...Any opinions?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I have been doing some thinking about what a lot of you said. IT may not be the best avenue for me. I could go back to school and learn some things, but my bachelors won't really add to what I learn. I have been looking into electronics engineering and acoustic engineering. I have a BA in sound design, and if I could repair, and nstall equipment and learn about acoustics then I could build studios and home theaters. I have experience repairing and installing studio equipment, most of it learned on the fly, or from the studio techs and owners that I have worked for. I have also worked in construction at various points in my life so the building side would be pretty simple. I just need the detailed technical background to get started. I know I can get a masters in one of the two fields so that would be a good addition to my BA. Then I can get certifications or what ever else I need to fill in the gaps for the other field. This would be much easier for me since I have experience in both areas and they relate to sound. The hardest part is going to be learning about acoustics.

Go for a mechanical engineering MS focusing in acoustics. Acoustics lays in the EE and ME fields. You can fill in the gaps of knowledge by pulling classes from the BS level.

We definitely have some of the smartest people I've ever met or even talked to working at this company. Its scary...really scary. Although MOST of the guys like that (sans 3-4) are well into their 40s. Nuclear physicists writing LDAP integrations is something scary to watch.

I think we have 4 MIT grads just in my department.

You don't want to know how many we have in ours. :D

lol, i could only imagine.

its just scary the number of really smart people and a lot of 'all talk' people in the space of like 1000 sq/ft

You should go see the people at the Google office. One of my buddies who is ridiculously smart and worked in the thermal solutions lab at AMD as a researcher got a job a Google... walked in and said that he felt as dumb as a box of rocks compared to the people he was working with.

Go for a mechanical engineering MS focusing in acoustics. Acoustics lays in the EE and ME fields. You can fill in the gaps of knowledge by pulling classes from the BS level.

I was looking into the MS program at Ga Tech last night. I am not sure how difficult it will be to gain admission, but it looks like a good program. They actually have acoustics programs that vary depending on the area of focus. If you want to work in noise reduction/control you can take the program from the mechanical engineer side, or they have a program that teaches it from the EE side for people who are audio engineers. I have to look more into the programs.

Why would I have to go to a community college? I have a bachelors already.

I hope you got past calculus with your sound design degree if you're thinking about a masters in engineering.

I was looking into the MS program at Ga Tech last night. I am not sure how difficult it will be to gain admission, but it looks like a good program. They actually have acoustics programs that vary depending on the area of focus. If you want to work in noise reduction/control you can take the program from the mechanical engineer side, or they have a program that teaches it from the EE side for people who are audio engineers. I have to look more into the programs.

GA Tech isn't going to be easy to get into- it's always ranked in the top 10 graduate engineering schools in the country every year. I don't know how good their acoustics program is specifically, but it ought to be in line with the general program.

whoa, and ut dallas is no where on the list anymore...its been as high as 3 on that list in the last 10 years.

Seriously? UT-D ranked 3rd for graduate level EE?

Ok, I just saw a news posting for UT-D as third in Texas in 2007 for Computer Science, but nothing about a top 10 national ranking.

bah, thats what it was. i was supposed to be searching for undergrad.

fial.

Back