Thinking Career Change- Opinions Needed

Briansol

Admins
Staff member
Admin
VIP
be careful with resigning and then asking for vacation. we generally don't approve that time off request.
 

BigJ

I'm just about that action Boss.
VIP
be careful with resigning and then asking for vacation. we generally don't approve that time off request.
Word. We'll pay it out after the fact, but won't let you take a day off if we can avoid it before you leave. Every day is precious at that point to get what you need out of the employee.

Or you say you're going to a competitor and we escort you out of the building in 5 minutes and you're on vacation for 2 weeks. :)
 

SlushboxTeggy

It's only stupid if it doesn't work
VIP
This PTO won't be paid out and doesn't need to be approved. And at the end of the day, what cards are they holding to "make" me come in?
 

get_nick

These snozzberries taste like snozzberries...
VIP
This PTO won't be paid out and doesn't need to be approved. And at the end of the day, what cards are they holding to "make" me come in?

The fact that you work at an at will state. They'll simply fire you and take their sweet ass time cutting you a check for both your PTO and final paycheck. They don't have a reason to help you at this point, especially when it costs the company more money in regards to insurance, benefits, etc.

When I left my job in April, I had 240 hours of PTO saved up. I asked two Sr. Directors about my options and both strongly suggested that I just bounce. Not being able to stay for 27 more days cost me $12,000 in stock vesting and ESPP bonus. But I had to start the new job.
 

SlushboxTeggy

It's only stupid if it doesn't work
VIP
The fact that you work at an at will state. They'll simply fire you and take their sweet ass time cutting you a check for both your PTO and final paycheck. They don't have a reason to help you at this point, especially when it costs the company more money in regards to insurance, benefits, etc.

When I left my job in April, I had 240 hours of PTO saved up. I asked two Sr. Directors about my options and both strongly suggested that I just bounce. Not being able to stay for 27 more days cost me $12,000 in stock vesting and ESPP bonus. But I had to start the new job.

If they want to get spiteful, that's fine. I'll essentially get the time off I was hoping for. Honestly, I think my boss is up to something. He specifically asked me to not inform my team of my decision yet. Not really sure why.
 

get_nick

These snozzberries taste like snozzberries...
VIP
If they want to get spiteful, that's fine. I'll essentially get the time off I was hoping for. Honestly, I think my boss is up to something. He specifically asked me to not inform my team of my decision yet. Not really sure why.

Probably trying to find a counter offer for you or find where you're going and block it. Or maybe he's trying to hire your replacement rather than have a bunch of guys jockey for the job.
 

SlushboxTeggy

It's only stupid if it doesn't work
VIP
Had an awkward in person conversation yesterday. Sounds like he was thinking of countering, but I said my offer was not close to me current compensation. Flat out lie. I just don't want to work here.
 

get_nick

These snozzberries taste like snozzberries...
VIP
Had an awkward in person conversation yesterday. Sounds like he was thinking of countering, but I said my offer was not close to me current compensation. Flat out lie. I just don't want to work here.

You should have told your manager before accepting the job. It's possible the new company would have given you a better offer. My current employer gave me a higher offer because I had on offer from a competitor, and they expedited the hiring process. Start to finish it still took 3 months. lol
 

SlushboxTeggy

It's only stupid if it doesn't work
VIP
You should have told your manager before accepting the job. It's possible the new company would have given you a better offer. My current employer gave me a higher offer because I had on offer from a competitor, and they expedited the hiring process. Start to finish it still took 3 months. lol
My friend who referred me pushed for more and they told him take it or leave it, it's above average for the industry/market. I also didn't want to create a situation where the offer was rescinded. At the end of the day, I want out of the current job. The new one sounds like a much better opportunity that I would even entertain if I was marginally happy here.

It's nice to see one of these threads actually result in some form of change in the OP's life.
They usually just turn into a "vent fest" with nothing accomplished and no changes made.

Congrats to Slush for making the leap. Same money for less hours seems like a no brainer.
Total comp is actually higher. Base is a smidge lower. But RSUs in a company that has expanded ~50% in 18 months is the real no brainer.

New hours should also allow me to take the welding course I mentioned at the start.
 
Top