cop runs over hit and run victim

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well, I'd hit a body too if it were 3 in the morning, the body was in the road, and I had high beams in my eyes!

And, thanks for making me lazy brian. Who needs to watch the news/look at google news when I can just check the boards...

Last edited by a moderator:
I always wanted to know...

Local Cops < Highway Cops < County Cops? or is just a jurisdiction (sp?) thing?

Cause I know where I live... in VA our "highway cops" are State Troopers and they are mean as shit and whenever I see someone get pulled over on the highway its almost always a state trooper, but Ive seen a couple that have been pulled over by county sheriff's.

State Trooper = Grey/Blue Car
County Sheriff's = Brown Car or White/blue Car

For our county sheriffs, we have like 2 different types, the ones with the brown car and brown uniforms, they guard our court houses and some work with the DoC. The ones in the white/blue cars and blue uniforms are like the normal cops.

Anyone else here live in VA?

Damn that would suck.

In Austin on I35 headed north past the Oltoft exit (for those that know Austin) it was raining, and a friend of mine hydroplaned, bounced around the freeway etc..well, the cops showed up at the scene, and put her in the back of the car, to keep her safe, and dry. Well, not five minutes later someone else hit the exact same spot, and slammed in =to the cop car she was sitting in :( Not 100% OT, but made me think of it.

Cops have jurisdiction anywhere, even if its not their town. The downside however is that whereever the cop pulls you over, is where he has to go to court if you would like a trial.

So a town cop can pull you over on the highway, as well as a county cop, as well as a trooper.

Troopers are more infamous for their "no bullshit" ways and writing whoever they pull over a ticket.

hmmm around me anyone can write tickets...

County Sheriff
State Police
Village Police
DEP Police (Dept of Enviromental Protection)
NYS Park Ranger

Originally posted by reckedracing@Jun 10 2005, 12:54 PM
Village Police
[post=510761]Quoted post[/post]​

LOL!!

Are they actually called "village police"???

kinda

its actually

Village of ___ville Police...

or ____ville Police

they just got themselves one of them there golfcarts looking electric cop cars...
and they have cops on bikes... no horses yet though... :)

Originally posted by Blanco@Jun 10 2005, 02:51 PM
And the Sherrif's Dept. can't write tickets...but they can call in the Highway Patrol/State Trooper to do it for them. :p
[post=510758]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm not aware of this...

Sherrif's around here can write tickets. They have all the power of normal officers just with more of a title.

i think it has more to do with the amount of vermen and street trash as compared to any "hippie shit"

its funny to watch them get scared shitless cause they don't hear the bike coming up...

i also had an alarm horn hooked up to my normal horn switch, i used to fuck with the street trash all the time, sound the horn like a cop car and watch em RUN...

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene+Jun 10 2005, 03:27 PM-->
@Jun 10 2005, 02:51 PM
And the Sherrif's Dept. can't write tickets...but they can call in the Highway Patrol/State Trooper to do it for them. :p
[post=510758]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm not aware of this...

Sherrif's around here can write tickets. They have all the power of normal officers just with more of a title.
[post=510786]Quoted post[/post]​

Every single state/county is different.

Calvert County maryland does not have a police department they only have a Sherrifs office.

They do everything from chasing down bikes "trying", to catching people knocking off banks.

on the other hand the next county over Anne Arundel has both Police, and Sherrifs. in AA co, the police do most of the pulling people over and most all of the normal "police" work the Sherrifs handel warrants and watching over the court house and such.

BTW ANY officer no matter what they do can pull you over and write you a ticket, if for some reason they don't have a ticket book they can call another officer in to take his place.

And another thing. If a police officer from County (A) pulls you over in County (B) you will end up going to (As) county court.

Why? County officers are told to work 1 area in the county that area could be a 4 mile square or if down by my parents house it could be a 50 mile square. anywho if that police officer goes to pull you over that means it happened in his area. If you get snaged for doing something in his area and you drive out of the county or even out of the state the officer can follow you anywhere you go. Once you're cought you will be taken back to HIS station and have to go to his court.

Originally posted by jeffie7@Jun 10 2005, 07:15 PM
Why? County officers are told to work 1 area in the county that area could be a 4 mile square or if down by my parents house it could be a 50 mile square. anywho if that police officer goes to pull you over that means it happened in his area. If you get snaged for doing something in his area and you drive out of the county or even out of the state the officer can follow you anywhere you go. Once you're cought you will be taken back to HIS station and have to go to his court.
[post=510905]Quoted post[/post]​

Clarification here;

You go to court whereever the violation occured. This is always true, hence why you extradite criminals back to the state/country where the crime occured.

My point was 'jurisdiction' as heard on movies means nothing unless its between foreign countries. Every state in the United States is just that united and works together to enforce the laws of the land. Furthermore, I was simply point out that say a Sussex county cop can pull you over in Morris county and write you a ticket, even if he needs to call into the morris county police headquarters to do so, its within his means if need be. Statey can pull you over anywhere, and a local police officer can pull you over anywhere, they just really don't travel out of the area very often because its not convenient. If they take a two hour trip down to the shore and cite someone's violation then they'll have to go back down there to court should the need for a trial arise.

Back