crx field vtec wiring?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wow, calm down lol. i know that during vtec the motor needs more fuel. and i said "maybe add 1 percent throughout the whole range with a little more during vtec." how is that ridiculous? and that's why i'm running everything through the forum to be corrected and such. i'm still learning, but you're not helping by talkin shit ya know. i'm not doing anything to mess with you, i'm just running ideas by

how about learn about how an engine works?? then you can realize on your own how doing that would affect things. the original question was how do you hook the damned thing up, not how will this affect my vehicle...

anyway, it's common knowledge that richening the mixture removes horsepower and cools better unless your trying to add more boost and leaning out the mixture creates more power but more heat.

you "know", huh? during vtec the motor needs more fuel? no...

so during vtec, the motor doesn't need a "little" more fuel? that's how i stated it. i know adding more fuel richens the mixture, but if you don't have enough then you sacrifice power also. that's why i was saying i'd give it a "little" more for more power, but wasn't completely sure on that and was hoping somebody would chime in. you did and i respect that aspect, but all you're doing is putting me down and not helping me figure this out, you're just talking crap to talk crap is what it seems

honda would not make it lean from the factory. adding fuel is not going to correct an invisible issue. your stock motor is running at peak efficiency with a stock tune. end of story. there's no correcting necessary. adding a little more fuel will put it over stoich. removing fuel will put it under stoich. do the math!

i understand what you're saying, but i'm using this on a obd0 non-vtec ecu. i understand that if i were using a vtec ecu, the maps would be how they should from the factory, but since there aren't the right fuel maps for vtec, wouldn't i need to add/create them myself? that's what i was trying to get at, sorry if i didn't know how to word it. let me know what you think

ok now we're getting somewhere.

you want the ecu that matches the engine from the factory. or, in obd1 terms, because you can reprogram obd1 ecus, if you research you can possibly find that multiple ecus (the hardware) can support different things, such as vtec. some, but not many non vtec ecus can be reprogramed to support vtec. some cannot. but that's all obd1 and is the reason you should go there.

yeah i understand that, but i was just going to run this vtec controller for now. earlier in this thread, i posted a link to "mechanic b's" page that showed the wiring for a fields boxer vtec controller. i'm planning on using that until i get everything together for the obd1 swap. i'm going to be doing a mini me swap with a d16y8 vtec head soon and want the vtec activated. i know it's not the "right" way but i'l only be touching a total of 4 wires and they can always be reversed once i swap to obd1. but anyways, that's why i'm asking about adding more fuel, because it's a pm6 obd0 ecu and it's non-vtec so it doesn't have the right fuel maps for vtec. let me know what you think in detail as it's time for me to hit the sheets. thanks a lot for your input and everything, even though you seemed mad most of the time lol. atleast you're giving me information and whatnot. i appreciate it all

lol for sure. it's just late. and ya its just not how i would do it so i dont want to answer. i'd just wait till i have all the stuff to do it correctly at the same time. like, head swap, new gasket, new injectors, obd1 ecu matching the head, and whatever else you need. arp headstuds if it's going to see boost before you take it apart next.

yeah i got you. i gotta wake up in 6 hours for work. what would you, or anybody else for that matter, increase as far as fuel is concerned? thanks bro

bedtime for real this time lol. later. thanks again

they are all going to say the same thing as me. they wouldn't. they'd convert to obd1...

on a dynamometer with a wide band o2 sensor.

basicly the same way you would tune a car with a stand alone like hondata.

i mean something i can do myself for the time being. does 1% thoughout up until vtec sound okay? then like 2 or 3% during vtec? let me know what you guys think

before i have everything to go to obd1.

and let me ask this. really, all i need to convert to obd1 is the conversion harness, an obd1 distributor, and p28. most people say that you need obd1 injectors too, but i read if you just leave the resistor box that everything'll run fine. or you can take out the resistor box and run obd1 injectors, and the obd0 crx injector clips will work just fine, is this true?

I converted from OBD2b to OBD1. Sorry IDK completely. I know the resistor box can be used to run the peak and hold OBD0 injectors. IDK if the clips are the same. You need the dizzy, harness, and ecu.

and why exactly do i need the other dizzy? why won't the a6 dizzy work? as long as i keep the dizzy plugs the same, why shouldn't it work?

and i am just curious as to how you anybody would change the fuel maps to run vtec on a pm6 ecu. i'm just curious now, i didn't say i was gonna go do it, just so we're clear. thanks again everybody

you can use the dizzy by cutting the ears off and it'll look like s#it, i mean it'll work but....hey whatever makes you happy, the right way would be to use the obd1 dizzy and reppinning the plugs for a factory look although it seems that you are not looking for that right now, Good luck!

you can use the dizzy by cutting the ears off and it'll look like s#it, i mean it'll work but....hey whatever makes you happy, the right way would be to use the obd1 dizzy and reppinning the plugs for a factory look although it seems that you are not looking for that right now, Good luck!
if you read the rest of the post, i said i'm using a y8 head, so the distributor bolts right up to it, no cutting off ears or anything. that's why i'm wondering if i really need an obd1 distributor. why can't i use the a6 distributor on the y8 head with obd1? thanks

Back