Crx Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sko0terMan

ok heres the thing. i bought a 89 crx shell, and i dont know what to swap into it. i was thinking of putting in the zc engine, but then i wasnt to sure cause then i was thinking of doing the b16 swap. ne info on what these motors can handle will be great. let me know.

handle in terms of what??? If i were you i would stick around this forum, read the post and learn what you want to swap, there are many options, including the b16 and ZC.

what is this car for? daily driver? race only?

heres a breakdown:
EASY TO HARDEST SWAP
1.D16A6
2.ZC
3.D16Z6/Y8
4.B18A
5.B16Acable
6.B17A(rare motor)
7.B18B/20Zhydro
8..B16A/18C/18C5/16Bhydro
9.H22A

Least to most horse power in stock form
1.D16A6-109
2.D16Z6/Y8-125/127
3.ZC-130
4.B18A-138
5.B18B/20Z-140
6.B16Acable-160
7.B17A/B16Ahydro-160/170
8.B18C/18C1-180/170
9.B16B-185
10.H22A-200
11.B18C5/18C5R-195/205-210

Cheapest to most expensive(could vary a little)
1.D16A6
2.D16Z6/Y8
3.ZC
4.B18A
5.B18B
6.B20B/Z
7.B16Acable
8.B17A(rare motor)
7.B16Ahydro
8.H22A
9.B18C/C1
10.B16B
11.B18C5/C5R

its gonna be like a daily driver. i have a full on race car already which that was my old daly driver. but in terms of saying the zc, what would u have to do to make it turbo? cause thats the eninge i think im gonna go with cause i got offered a good deal for a whole set up. so i think im gonna go with that and turbo it.

is the zc the sohc vtec or the dohc non-vtec? if it is the vtec i would not turbo it. if you want turbo get an integra LS motor. they are the best engine for a turbo setup IMO. i do not know all the tech data on why vtec is not good with turbo but i think it has something to do with timing but dont quote me.

No ZC is vtec.

ZC = SOHC
ZC= DOHC

None are vtec. :)

It depends on your kinda daily driving. If you are just a daily driver, not a street racer, then a stock b16 SiR I will do you just fine until you can modify it. If you want daily driven but also some mad power, then turbo the b18a. Turbo CAN be a daily driver. Just have to take care of it and set it up where you are not a full boost at an RPM that you see while driving.

yea like u said i want it to be a daily driver, but i want the power if i need it. so some what of a street racer too. so then the zc motor isnt a good motor to turbo. like i said i was going to get the whoel setup for the dohc for 850. including everything i need to do the swap.but i wnated to put a turbo on it for the extra power. but thats how it all starts out, with one mod then another then another. so just to say in the long run which motor u think i should be safe with.

Originally posted by Sko0terMan@Jan 26 2003, 03:23 PM
yea like u said i want it to be a daily driver, but i want the power if i need it. so some what of a street racer too. so then the zc motor isnt a good motor to turbo. like i said i was going to get the whoel setup for the dohc for 850. including everything i need to do the swap.but i wnated to put a turbo on it for the extra power. but thats how it all starts out, with one mod then another then another. so just to say in the long run which motor u think i should be safe with.

Knowledge is running a ZC dohc with a greddy kit on it. You can boost it, you just wont ever be as fast as say a b18a boosted. The swap price of a b18a is 800-900 bucks, probably less. Get mounts (i'm not sure which ones you need), and slowly build up a turbo kit, then if you want more power after boosting stock internals. (i recommend an oem rebuild on a motor that old) If its not enough for you, then tear the motor apart and redo the internals for more boost.

I bet you are wondering, how much boost on stock internals huh? Well, i would say, for a greddy 18g, i wouldn't run more then 10psi non-intercooled, add an intercooler and run 12 or so. I am not 100% sure though. Those are just safe numbers.

www.ks-motorsports.com Build a turbo kit there, it seems higher or lower in some cases, but it comes standard with Hondata and you get your pic at better parts.

so ur sayin the b18a for the whole setup is about 800-900 with everything. like ecu, tranny, etc..... cause for the zc im getting everything. but then the b18a does sound like a good swap.

Yes, b18a's are a all in the classifieds here. You want the obd0 b18a swap.

Back