Crx With D16y8 Will It Work

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

yes but you will have to go to obd2 from obd 0 i would suggest looking at the d16Z6(i have) or b16A for another bolt -in with harnes swap.

Will a 92 CX motor (d15) fit into the 89 CRX? What about a regular 88-91 Hatch or Sedan? What else do I need to get in order for it to fit? Mounts? Harness? Different ECU?

Originally posted by tshajlij@Jan 24 2003, 04:05 PM
Will a 92 CX motor (d15) fit into the 89 CRX? What about a regular 88-91 Hatch or Sedan? What else do I need to get in order for it to fit? Mounts? Harness? Different ECU?

yes but why? i would put a motor that at least had vtec like D16z6 or B16a. and yes as far as i know the engines will fit in the hatch sedan and wagon. if you do the B16a and D16Z6 you don't need mounts just ecu wiring harness, tranny , drive shafts, ect... depending on what you have now.

You do need a mount kit for a B16 SiR I swap. For around 600-700 bucks, you can do a mini-me and have ~135hp, later get a Si tranny that is cable and have a little more horsepower until you save up for a swap or build up a swap.

Originally posted by 88civicHBz6+Jan 24 2003, 10:48 PM-->
@Jan 24 2003, 04:05 PM
Will a 92 CX motor (d15) fit into the 89 CRX? What about a regular 88-91 Hatch or Sedan?  What else do I need to get in order for it to fit?  Mounts?  Harness?  Different ECU?

yes but why? i would put a motor that at least had vtec like D16z6 or B16a. and yes as far as i know the engines will fit in the hatch sedan and wagon. if you do the B16a and D16Z6 you don't need mounts just ecu wiring harness, tranny , drive shafts, ect... depending on what you have now.

There are plenty of threads about this with actual information.

yes it'll work. Or you can go with the Z6. Without having to swap to obd2 you can use a PR3 OBD0 ECU programmed by locash or hyperducktuning.com to a mugen program that eliminates the knock sensor code and it will run fine. All you have to do is wire up for vtec solenoid and oil pressure. You will have to swap the driver side engine mount piece from the block of the Z6 with your A6 piece, use your civic motor mounts,axles, wiring harness, and switch over injectors from your A6 motor to the Y8. The distributor will bolt right up from you A6 also. I would suggest getting a new timing belt and water pump for the Y8 before installing and also getting a Y8 clutch kit but you will have to use a Y8/Z6 pressure plate, but it has a larger surface area that is better for performance. If you have any q's or problems PM here on the site or email me at yebabee@aol.com. You will enjoy this swap and not break the bank on it.

i am assuming in this above statement that you have or are getting an Si/EX/HF model for ease of wiring this is your best bet. Also you will want an SI/EX tranny for the best gearing for performance. The models you want are 88-91 Civic/CRX Si or CRX HF, 90-91 Civic 4dr EX. The other models DX/LX/STD are all dual point injection and will have more wires added for the extra injectors and crank sensors so if you don't want more work stay away from these models.

to put the y8 in i have to get mounts from the civic, but what if i just got a clutch for the a6 motor that just messed up, do i still need to get the y8 clutch kit

use the mounts for the civic you are puttin it in not the Y8 mounts, since in a 4th gen car you only have one true "motor" mount the other 3 are tranny mounts so use the 88-91civic mounts. You don't need the Y8 clutch kit you can use the A6 clutch and pressure plate but you have to use the A6 flywheel and not the Y8 flywheel if it comes with the motor. Using a Y8 clutch kit and flywheel are just an upgrade with their increased surface area grip.

Back