Custom fab work on turbo build + a few Q's

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ChrisC

91 civic hb
Sometime this week im going to be starting on building my junkyard turbo setup. I've been collecting parts as I go for this. Ive done lots of fabrication work from building a mini chopper, retarded go carts and misc items. Ill be making myself a turbo manifold and charge piping. Im curious on what size piping to use. 2" for manifold, 3" for charge?? (inside diameter) I'll be taking plenty of pictures of how I cut, weld and bend all the piping and how I made the manifold. I'll post a how to once its all finished.

Just one more question, this ones for Blanco or someone who has build or boosting experience. As I build my boost setup, I want to fit it on into '91 civic hb with a stock D15A2 to test it out. Keeping in mind I just fully rebuilt this motor. Fresh bore .05 over with new pistons and rings. Block has been decked. Head completly rebuilt and milled down. Crank repolished with new mains, rod and thrust bearings. Also a significantly lower milage transaxle put it, with an aimco 6 puck ceramic clutch kit. From motor to clutch it has just been broken in. Im curious how much boost my D15 can handle without any ECU tuning. I would do an OBD1 conversion and buy a hondata tuner but Im looking to do a budget build. Im not looking for any large amounts of boost at all, 7 psi at most(depending on what turbo I use). Ill be running a wideband air/fuel meter, boost, oil pressure, and fuel pressure gauges for my mental security. Ill be using a manual controller to adjust my boost level. I dont really want to be cooking my fresh motor after all the time and money spent on the rebuild. :eek:

Some imput on this would be awesome, thanks guys :D

Last edited:
look into turbo edit or other grassroots tunign programs. if you are looking to build on a budget you can buy a chipped ecu for <$150 and even have a program burned that will roughly match your exact setup. then later down the road you can take it to a guy who knows tuning and get it honed in, or even better you can learn how to write maps yourself and be well along the way to becoming a honda geek.

Back