D series Vs B series

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TurboRex90

Golden EG
Hey guys, so ive been building/ adding on to my D16z6 boost setup. Couple grand in this motor, and i went to find a new EM and its hard to find anything good. So im thinkin about gettin an Ls block from the junkyard for cheap, my brother found one thats REAL clean, and my buddy has a vtec head i can get off him. Now i wanna boost that too if i get one.. I spent 7k on this current boost setup and months of building.. How easy would you guys say it would be to do this swap.. my car is already converted to OBD1 and what not, would my P28 ECU work with it? and how much money do you think i would have to throw in to get a respectable 250+ whp boost steup.. cuz im makin 235whp at 19psi on my D series. Just throw me some serious numbers.. please no BS estimates.. So anyone with experience in putting a Ls/Vtec in a CRX, and boosting it safely.. throw in your 2 cents. All opinions/tips/advice welcome..even if you say i should stay with my Z6 and/ or help finding a GOOD exhaust manifold... Thanks!^_^

IMO, save a couple bucks and just boost the LS. LS's are very boost friendly, and you can have a well built LS installed into an EF for about $2500 depending on the parts you use. Boosted LS's can hit that 250hp mark with a good tune and a good build. You can chip your P28 and have it tuned by a reputible tuner.

From my experience, a well built, boosted LS, with a B16 tranny swapped into an EF, depending on parts used, will run you about $3500-$4000.

Nice guys thanks, and EFguy16, ill look into that, thanks!

I can get a clean LS/Vtec for like 500$ or less, appreciate the estimates, they help!

Update: I looked into the cast manifold you linked.. its not what im looking for i want something more along the lines of Inline Pro style.. unfortunately they dont make anything for my setup. *tear*
Like this:

IP-SST3-Lg.gif

Last edited:
Of course my general prices were for purchasing everything--as in not having anything. If you already have the LS block and other parts, it's going to make your costs come down

how much did you pay for the block and head? and which head did you use a b16 or b18? right now i have the turbo kit, minus a EM.. so that knocks the price down a bit more.

I didn't do an LSV, but I have a bunch of friends who have either boosted an LS or have done an LSV swap. Roughly, buying a B18B and having it installed in an EF of EG has run anywhere from $2000-$3000 depending where they got their parts from. One of my buddies boosted his B18A in his EF, and everything included ran him about $3500. He did the labor himself, so he saved himself that.

All these swaps were with rebuilds. None of these parts were already purchased beforehand. If you already have the turbo kit and the LS block, all you are really looking at is a head, mounts, linkage, and some axles. Obviously, if you go vtec, you need other stuff, but that can be incorporated into the cost of the build.

My rough guess, if you already have the turbo and LS block--$2000 for everything including a rebuild--and that is being generous and using good parts.

How to build a reliable LSVtec

Last edited:
well i can get the vtec head from a buddy, he has a real clean head.. but i dont recall if it was a B16 or B18, but he wont charge me more then a couple hundred for it, and he can sell me hasport mounts for 100$. As far a trans go, what should i look for/ get.. cuz im only familiar with D-series trannys. But someone mentioned i could have my P28 retuned to this motor.. that true? i mean i have vtec now, and its OBD1 so it wouldnt be hard to burn a new chip right?

And i will be doing all work myself.. well me and my brother seeing how we build my current setup form scratch.. luckily my dad owns a car shop with a lift etc. so makes tool prices and labor at practically FREE :)

Also, as far as wiring harnesses.. what harness do i need? B16, B18.. or what. cuz i know i cant use my current CRX Si/Civic EX hybrid harness.. lol sounds funny but it really is a mix of two harness professionally rewired.

Last edited:
If you hav already put a bunch of money into the D why swap it out? Use the money that you would spend on the B swap ($1000 minimum) to bulid the D some more.

As for the tranny, ultimately it depends on what you are going to do with the car. IMO, the B16 tranny is the best bang for the buck. It has short gears, but it revs faster. The LS is a dog. Long gears, but will give you slightly better gas mileage. A happy medium between would be the GSR tranny.

You can have your P28 chipped and tuned. Don't skimp on this part. Bring it to a reputible tuner and pay the money to have it done right. Your car is only as reliable and good as the tune that is on it. If you are going to build a motor and skimp on the tune save yourself the headaches and stick with what you have.

well the guy that tunes my car knows his shit.. tuned anything from shitty cars to build 900hp cars.. and he's reasonable with prices.. so having it rechiped and tuned wont be a problem. just glad i wont have to spend another 400$ gettin the Neptune setup in another ECU. but yeah i guess for boost i should steer towards the B16, or GSR tranny? i mean for like 15-20psi, and how my current turbo spools at about 3k.. which tranny would be better.. plus im lookin into a turbonetic turbo with a lower spool.. So faster revs? = b16..

Sorry if im confusing..

I've driven an LS with an LS tranny, and I had a B16 on my B20 swap. Hands down, the B16 is the way to go. If you plan to do some traveling or highway cruising, the B16 with the LS 5th gear--all the benefits of the B16 without the 4k rpms at 70mph.

So for a DD, and that occasional trip to the track, get the B16 tranny? Well what specific tranny in general cuz im pretty sure there are different gear ratios in the B16 trannys no?

Ive been reading up on this new found glory of B-series engines like any good thread poster and car enthusiast should, there is a fued between the Ls/vtec and an all out B16 alone. What do you personally think.. spend the time boosting an LS/Vtec or a B16.

If you hav already put a bunch of money into the D why swap it out? Use the money that you would spend on the B swap ($1000 minimum) to bulid the D some more.

Im just gettin tired of the Single cam setup and not finding good parts for them anymore.. I.E a good turbo exhaust manifold.. The B-series has more potential to it.

If you are going to build it, build the LS. The B16 is higher compression.

Build either one, really. As long as it's tuned, you should see good results. If it was me spending the money, I would build and boost an LS before a B16.

As for the tranny, a cable B16 tranny would work regardless of what B-series you put in there. And you wouldn't have to convert it to hydrolic, saving you a couple bucks.

Cool, thanks. I think im probably gonna go with the Ls/Vtec.. plus im down for the experience of building a B-series engine... always wanted to. I just really wanna break the 300whp mark.. and with my current setup im about 235whp so its like a tease to me. ha

Hey what are good combination of B16 heads with a B18B1 block? like what would require the least amount of fab work/machine shop work to get it to fit.. if any. My buddy said the head he has is a B16a and wants 400$, so im lookin about about 600$ for a B18b1 block, B16a head, and tranny.. good deal?

ls is the way to go b16s have high compression ls-vtec or ls boost is the way to go b16 all motor will cost u more money for the power your looking for im using the ls trans on my b18 ill tell u how it works out im just using a b18 for now im gonna boost it soon i gotta get it ready to drive to import faceoff in may and moneys tight so

ls is the way to go b16s have high compression ls-vtec or ls boost is the way to go b16 all motor will cost u more money for the power your looking for im using the ls trans on my b18 ill tell u how it works out im just using a b18 for now im gonna boost it soon i gotta get it ready to drive to import faceoff in may and moneys tight so
:
?
!

Those are just a few examples of punctuation. Try them out sometime.

Last edited:
Back