D15B7 Top end in 89 CRX?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I have the P2J 98 head as well. Square combustion chambers, correct? Also, I like this thread. Thanks for starting such a good topic, I could use some information about this swap.

I have an 0bd0 sohc zc with pm3-16 stamped into it, I have a 91 d15b2 with pm9-3 on it and a jdm d15b vtec that I could look but its installed so i don't want to lol. I am in so cal too, I got a smog guy that is cool, doesn't question my swap parts after I tell him "no I didn't do it, just run it and see if it passes". lol that doesn't work for intakes without carb numbers and such. I am in between Palmdale and Santa Clarita if you want some help with your swap or troubleshooting. Let me know I am always itching to work on a Honda=)

I feel like I have abandoned this thread... Oh but life happens.... Had a change in my job and so I haven't had the time to tear the motor down in the rex. Had the IACV crap out, got that changed so I could still get to work and back. Sitting on all of the parts, just need to find the time. Ended up doing a complete head swap for a buddy of mine that threw the timing belt in his Integra. That was a good warm up course for me. Fired right up on the first try, guess I did something right. 89hatchd15b, thanks for the VERY useful tid-bit of info there. I'd be super stoked to hook up with you some time and "compare notes". Also, I recently lost my "cool smog guy", so that would also be a huge help. To anyone else that has checked out this thread... I REALLY want to get the swap done, and I am committed to posting pics and info as I progress. Thanks to all for the help and info thus far.

yea here in socal you need to study up as much as you can so you can ace the test. Its the only bad part about socal... ScooterBox send me a pm sometime and we can compare notes.

Umm I bought a PM3-6 head for my 1993 Civic DX 3 Door Automatic D15B7 and I am having ignition timing problems. My valve timing looks correct but my ignition timing needs more advancing and my distributor is at it's limit. Any help would be apreciated. The only thing I have not replaced on my engine is the igniter, coil, and spark plug wires. Do I need a PM6 head? Witch is the exact head that I need? I have set my valve timing retarded one tooth with good results for ignition timing but pour results for perfomance so I set it back to correct valve timing. My vacume reading says late ignition timing. This is frustrating but I know I will fix it soon. I need the car for college. Any ideas master techs hehe.

Hello to all… I bought my CRX DX in February of last year, it had the D15B2 motor with DPFI :eek:. I still love this car…. The gas mileage is great and it’s all-round a blast to drive, (now that I’ve rebuilt the entire drive train / suspension in the front end.)

Since I got the car I’ve read five different articles on swapping from DPFI to MPFI. I’m going to take the plunge and do it. Most of the articles focus on using parts from the CRX Si motor, D16A6, swapping in the D16A6 cam shaft as well, wrapping everything up with a PM6 ECU.

I’m fine with all of that, and I understand how to do the swap. My question is; Can’t one simply use the entire top end from a D15B7 instead of the Si? Before you answer…
The catch being that you must also commit to a OBD1 upgrade (P06 ECU)? Am I correct in understanding this to be the case????
My reason for considering going this route is that Si models are hard to come by in the local Pick-a-Part yards near me.

So, the only other thing I must make a decision on… The Head that is currently in my 1989 CRX DX is stamped PM#-13, 91… I believe that the head has been changed, doesn’t the 91 denote the year of manufacture?
Should I swap the whole head from the D15B7 over to my D15B2, or just swap over the cam? It’s my understanding that the head castings are identical. I’m just looking for suggestions on this one.

Thanks for all of the help… HondaSwap.Com has proven invaluable to me in doing my research on my CRX and it’s motor!!! Keep up the good work, also I plan on posting pics of my teardown / build. I hope that this will help others!
Yea that would work fine. but if you're going to go through the effort of converting to obd1 and swapping heads anyway, why not just swap a z6 head on there?

Back