D16y8 n/a build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

by the way does anyone know if there is any altered timing with the b16 head on a b20 block? we're still trouble shooting the build I was helping with and right now it doesn't seem like it wants to build compression but there is no way the valves are screwed up or anything of the sort the motor has never even fired up yet. Also is there any easy way to drain the fuel tank in a 95 civic hatchback

For cam timing make sure the crank is at TDC then set the cam timing. You may be off. Was the head milled?

To drain the tank there is a 17 or 14 mm (I forget which) bolt at the bottom rear of the tank you can access from under the car.

I believe the head was slightly milled. and thank you much. we need to get some new gas in the thing. it's been sitting for far too long without any additives in the fuel.

Was the rings installed right?? When cranking it does sound like its cranking faster and faster the longer you crank it over??

If you're going to run all forged internals, just pick whatever compression ratio you want. There's no point in going for old school Honda pistons when you can get higher compression forged slugs with all the neato new tech in them.

As far as B16 head on B20 block, I ran my cams at zero degrees.

Well thats another piece of info I didn't see when I was searching on a previous build. I will have to look into the p27/pm7 pistons..

sorry I didn't intend to say same time. don't know where my head was at. I meant instead. but even if I were to go with the d17 pistons I'd probably want to upgrade the rods at the same time and go forged anyway. I'm sure the pistons will be able to handle well over what this motor will see n/a. the only reason I say that is the 'y' internals scare me. I've had bad experiences with those bottom ends so far.

as for the b20/b16 project...we're running 0 timing right now. we just timed it to spec and left them. He plans to figure out where he wants to run the timing later on. And as far as we know everything was installed correctly. It was assembled by a shop. We have faith in our abilities but not quite to the extent that we'd assemble our first real race built motor ourselves. that will come with a little more experience.

Thinking about picking up a d16z6 motor for sale $350 on the good ole cl. I believe it's complete so I could sell off some of the stuff if needed. Maybe after that some Eagle H-Beam rods, and endyn high comp. pistons.

Alrighty...so I need some advice from you honda fans out there. I have been looking at buying a new car but I was thinking about something more practical for the Colorado weather but I came across the potential deal of a lifetime. My buddy kelly is losing his license due to an unfortunate and stupid mistake on his part. Well he has decided to sell his long time project car just days after getting it running all motor finally!! So he wants to rid himself of a 95 civic hatchback with 130,000 miles on the chassis, a brand new full exhaust, azul wheels with brand new tires, gsr front brake conversion with drilled and slotted rotors, and new pads, new brake lines all the way back, a b20 block with forged rods and pistons, with arp rod bolts, obx cams, skunk2 valvetrain, and megan cam gears, for the mean time it has a short ram intake. For the long term it has a t3/t4 turbo kit that comes with it. $5,000 is his asking price since I've helped build it since the begining and that way he can hopefully watch me finish it up for him rather than wish he got to see it finished.

Hey I've been reading through this build, crap ton of pages I love it! Anyways I'm looking at buying an almost bare stock ek and it's coming down to a few choices: 1. An ek with chico rims 2. An ek with a blown head gasket 3. An ek with messed up front fender. I was thinking lately about getting the blown gasket and doing a minime swap and while I got the y8 head off port and polishing it and changing out a few things like the cams, skunk2 intake, some headers, and do a valve job. Do you think this paired to a decent exhaust will do me good on speed? I wanna do the minime swap so I can get my hands into the internals of an engine and this route will be cheaper than the 10k route my friend went with his ef. I know the power won't be anywhere near his, but will it still pick up pretty decently? Once I get out of college and get setup financially I will build a b18c but I'm looking at huge money for that motor and want a quick daily now.

Honestly I think you'd have enough power with a mini me but I kinda found out the hardway that it's not too much cheaper to do a sohc motor honestly. besides you have to keep in mind with a gsr or type r motor you instantly start with nearly 40 horses more at the crank. a stock b18 vtec in that car or a b16 will give you the power you want most likely. then you already have the motor you truly want, without the mods maybe but those can come with time. Trust me. I had an integra, and now have this civic with the mini me. now don't get me wrong. I built this motor for a good reason but that's because I like the underdog always. but a b-series returns more power for your money 9 times outta 10.

yea I was kinda thinking that, but I do think building up a d-series would be kinda fun. Seeing as pretty much most of the civic pop wants to go b it would be cool to stand out a little.

hate to crush your dreams man but it's just more practical to go with a b-series. If you wanna stand out go get an f22a4 motor and turbo it. they are bigger, have a relatively low compression ratio, and come sleeved from the factory. then if you eventually want more power you can still replace the internals, and rebuild the head with better cams and such.

Lol dreams are for those without insomnia, I work towards the impossible.

Back