D16z6 Turbo Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Xanatos

Village Idiot
VIP
So. Upon further inspection that block I bought is in better shape than I thought. My coworkers and I have come to the conclusion that the kid blew a headgasket, not a ring. Of course a teardown, which will happen tomorrow, should give the final say in that matter.

If this is the case I will probably
Bore it out a little so each cylinder is even (stock bore currently)
Reassemble the block with the pieces I have....
D16z6 Block
Tapped oil pan
D16z6 Head
Eagle Rods
Vitara Pistons (I believe they are 8.5:1)
Ebay turbo kit (the objective of this car is not to crazy fast just to have a fun "side chick"/resto mod)
OEM Honda Head Gasket
SI/EX Transmission

My question now. The car has an AutoZone oem replacement clutch paired with an ACT 11.9lb flywheel. It was like 100$ because I needed the car put back together ASAP and off the rack in the shop. Will it hold up or do I need to look into getting a racing clutch? What's my best bang-for-buck option here?

It's always been my understanding that certain eBay kits are in fact, not the devil, but can be useful as long as you TREAT IT LIKE AN EBAY KIT.

http://www.d-series.org/forums/forced-induction/92749-ebay-turbo-write-up.html
http://www.d-series.org/forums/product-reviews/165677-godspeed-turbo-kit-review.html

I've known a few people that have successfully ran eBay kits and just slowly upgraded components as they went and this will be my first turbo car ever so hopefully I can take what I learn here and apply it to the "big project", the teggy.

In my experience the approach of "upgrade as you go" has always led to spending more money, investing more time, and a bigger headache than necessary. Do it right, do it once.

Get a decent clutch if you plan on driving the car for a while. That AutoZone OEM replacement might hold up for a while but the car is boosted which means you'll beat on it just to hear the noises. If it were me, I'd trash the eBay turbo kit and run the car N/A. I had a friend with an eBay turbo on his car for a while. Prior to installing it, we did all sorts of research and got it setup "properly" according to some forum hero somewhere - guess what? Pieces of the turbocharger bearings ended up circulating through his freshly built engine, toasting a rod bearing in the process.

Vitara pistons arent great also btw they are "budget" turbo setup pistons out of a suzuki bike , id buy a set of 75.5mm p29 pistons and a engine gasket kit and rock the motor n/a unless you want to drop the change on a nice turbo kit, the more money you sink into the motor the less you will want to use cheap parts that can fail and ruin it all

Which is why im going overkill motard build on my zc for the 79, im like dang id hate for this oe part to break and ruin everything, throws more hundreds at it

So the previous owner installed the pistons backwards and the ring journals on the pistons are toast, everything else looks good. To make it nice and fresh I'm going to have the block bored out .020, which is a piston size available on the pistons I want to run.

Meh 75.5mm usually is plenty 76mm is large as you want to go on a stock block , oh yea this isnt a summbitchin threefiddy we use the metric system :)

Back