Dad's Hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

OGMatt

Not a real OG lol
Hey guys, my dad has A 91 civic cx (auto) and he has this slightly big problem. When accelerating ther will all of the sudden be no gas so my dad puts it to the floor and still nothing and then 4-5 seconds later the gas will kick on and BAM were going again. this happend 1out of 3 times. I thought it would be a vacum leak but dont really know. Please help

nope havent done any dionostics yet, just trying to see if any one has this same problem or heard of how to fix it.

Intermittent fuel problem? Pump cutting out and then turning back on?

I would think that if the relay was bad, it would happen more than intermittently, but that would be a cheap easy fix if it was. You could check your fuel filter and see if it's clogged. Or that the injectors aren't gummed up or shorting out. Otherwise, fuel pump sounds like the culprit. But don't take my word for it. See what others have to say and look into some of the other possibilities.

well good job on selling him a pos lol

but sounds like it could be the tps, or fuel pressure...to me anyone agree?

Pressure regulator, too. Could be a multitude of things. But I would start with the fuel system first and work my way towards other stuff once I eliminated some of the possibilities already listed...

I think his dad ain't engaging VTAK enough and too much carbon is building up.

It could also be that its a gutless 1.5L Duel-Point Fi.

But on a serious note I think he would get a code for TPS. Although it does make some sence.

Edit: What about a clogged fuel filter?

Based on my experience, a bad TPS would still respond faster than 4-5 seconds after he pushed on the gas pedal. I could be wrong, or it could be something I haven't seen or heard yet. Didn't he say there was no CEL? Code 7 (TPS) would/should show if it was the culprit of that.

well good job on selling him a pos lol

Sorry for the threadjack Matt but I have to show these old pictures.

When my dad had the car (my car is white) :

100_1150-2.jpg

100_1153.jpg

And the best picture. The donor motor we put in your dads car (we cleaned it up oveously):

100_0710.jpg

the tps would not cause this problem, like gorge said check the pump.

or possibly the diz on its way out. thats exactly what happened on my old a6 before the distributor finally died. i didn't have any codes either

Back