Del Sol Tops

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

boydoubt

ok... now i guessed that with the del sol tops u just get out of ur car and take it off and put it in the trunk but i have seen pics of peoples del sols trunks lifting up and pickin the top up off the top and sliding into a little compartment and going back into the trunk. now is that some special mod that is custom or do del sols come with that stock?

actually that was a special model of the 96 Del Sols...that model was called the "pay Honda $10K over MSRP and we can make it happen for you". :p
sorry for being a smartass, just couldn't help myself.

Originally posted by rsaeini@Mar 29 2003, 05:24 AM
actually that was a special model of the 96 Del Sols...that model was called the "pay Honda $10K over MSRP and we can make it happen for you". :p

nope, thats not it. In Europe, there was a model called the trans-top. Every mag back in the day said they could play with that thing for hours and still be entertained. US never got it for 2 reasons. One, made the sol heavy as hell. Next it would have bumped the price up alot higher then the cars it was trying to compete with (Miata mostly)

Originally posted by asmallsol+Mar 29 2003, 05:12 AM-->
@Mar 29 2003, 05:24 AM

nope, thats not it. In Europe, there was a model called the trans-top. Every mag back in the day said they could play with that thing for hours and still be entertained. US never got it for 2 reasons. One, made the sol heavy as hell. Next it would have bumped the price up alot higher then the cars it was trying to compete with (Miata mostly)

i guess Honda learned from Mitsubishi when they did that with the 3000GT. It made hella heavy and hella over priced.

Originally posted by kylemarhx@Mar 29 2003, 05:03 AM
custom like a mof0, i've never even herd of that.

Its actually quite well known...like the kid down below said.

in japan they have it

u still can get conversions but its like an insane amount of money

Hmmm.... Try again guys.

The del Sol transtop was standard on 92-95 del Sols in Japan, and was optional from the factory in every other country including Japan from 92-97. The US was one of the only countries to not get the del Sol CR-X in 1992.

The transtop is NOT available to add to your del Sol, as it requires almost every interior trunk chassis panel to be replaced to accomidate it. It would be easier to cut your Sol in half and weld on a JDM transtop rear section than to install and wire up a transtop peice by peice.

The transtop itself takes around 45 seconds to run it's cycle, which is 20 seconds longer than it takes to get out of your car and do it yourself.

It was never brought to the US for a few reasons. Obviously cost of maintinence is a big one. We're cheap over here, and none of us want to pay $200 to have their automatic top removed fixed because it stopped halfway up at a stoplight. Also, they were very problematic. They were plagued with motor, gear, and clip issues that would constantly stop the trunk mid cycle.

Oh yeah if the trunk is not all the way closed, there is a fuel cut off that does not allow your car to travel over 5 mph, so if it dies at a stoplight, you look like the biggest idiot ever. Not only is your top halfway in your boner trunk, you also cannot move your ass off the road.

Overall, it is one badass idea that just didn't work out very well.
Stick with your car the way it is, and marvel at the transtop everytime you get the chance to see one, but don't ever wish you had it yourself, for they were what brought the del Sol away from the splendor of actually being recognized as a CR-X.

i have a video of a real transtop in action from a RHD del sol Vxi straight from japan!!!

who wants me to upload it! > lol

Originally posted by asmallsol@Mar 30 2003, 11:13 PM
adam, I want to see it, upload it somewhere. I have never seen one in action.

thats what she said...

-sorry its an inside joke

https://hondaswap.com/~pills/transtop.zip

it is uploading right now.. that will be the address.

not sure how long it will take to upload.. but try in like 15 minutes??? perhaps more.. it seems that my school has limited our bandwidth because i'm getting shitty connections lately.

that is my friend scho's vxi. he also had a supercharged b18c1 sol , but scrapped that plan for a supercharged B20 with some insane pressure.
give it time to upload though!! i promise it'll be up sometime!

Originally posted by pills_PMD@Mar 30 2003, 11:43 PM
https://hondaswap.com/~pills/transtop.zip

it is uploading right now.. that will be the address.

not sure how long it will take to upload.. but try in like 15 minutes??? perhaps more.. it seems that my school has limited our bandwidth because i'm getting shitty connections lately.

that is my friend scho's vxi. he also had a supercharged b18c1 sol , but scrapped that plan for a supercharged B20 with some insane pressure.
give it time to upload though!! i promise it'll be up sometime!

For anyone wondering...its 12:30est and the file is about 5.5mbs uploaded. IDK how big the file is...BUT its not completely done yet, so unless you have high speed 'net don't try to d/l it yet.

<-- :owned: . sorry for bein' a tool :( .

i just watched the video... that thing is shit, i wouldn't wat the crap on my car. the fat mutherfuckin' bitch who's ass is too lazy to get out and put the top in the trunk themselves wouldn't fuckin' fit in a sol anyways... just a bad idea in general.

i zipped it because the .mov file was ridiculously large.

lol oh well.

i get such shitty FTP transfer rates at school WTF??

Originally posted by FFCiv@Mar 31 2003, 05:41 PM
321 kb a sec average

yeah, I was getting 370k.

pretty sick

this dialup i have must be on the roids.

/sarcasm.

I would never admit or allow myself to have 56gay.

Back