Do you guys give 2 weeks notice?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

This happens quite often- you give your two weeks and they just tell you to take off and pay you during those two weeks. Usually if you're on good terms with the company, they'll let you stay through your last day. If it's a hostile departure, you're out the door with extra vacation

Also if you go to competitor they will probably let you go early.

I truly believe that if I gave 2 weeks, they'd fire me on the spot. Just so they didn't have to pay me. This is the cheapest, nickel and dime outfit I have ever worked for.

At the moment, I'm actively looking for a new job. I'm not going to leave myself in a place that I eat away at everything I saved. In all honesty, I was still planning on going to Australia on a visa in April/May. I may just ride this out until my sister's wedding in late March and make my 2 weeks end right before I leave for her wedding.

Last edited:
get fired and collect unemployment, and keep it rolling while you are in australia :ph34r:
todays leech lesson brought to you by grimey school of hard knocks

If you RESIGN, they CANNOT fire you. If they pink slip you after giving notice, fight it. Hell, record your resignation so you have a record of it so you can win in court. they CAN tell you to just pack up, but that is NOT being fired.

get fired and collect unemployment, and keep it rolling while you are in australia :ph34r:
todays leech lesson brought to you by grimey school of hard knocks
Haha, I'd love to get a check for nothing, but IDK if I could actually do it. If they did fire me after resignation, I'd probably collect. That's about it.

I'm a good employee by nature. IDK how I'd even go about getting myself fired, haha.

Is Jersey an at-will state? I know aside from the discriminatory reasons, here in Indiana your boss can fire you for pretty much any reason, or no reason at all.

you can't get fired for cause or UNemp can deny your claim
ie: don't shit on your manager's desk and expect to collect unemployment

If you get fired, odds are you will be rejected for unemployment after your hearing. If you resign, you relinquish all rights. So bascially, you must be LAID OFF to collect.

A friend said I could "resign from a hostile work environment" and collect, but like I said, I'm not looking to do that.

"They can't put anything on the internet that isn't true."

"Where did you hear that?"

"The internet."

My two cents:
-Always give notice. But never give notice in person, over the phone, or via text message. Always give your notice in writing to your HR department, then bring a copy to your supervisor/manager, hand it to him/her, and then tell him/her that you're giving your $x weeks.
-Try to give more than two weeks if you can. Two weeks is a minimum, because it normally coincides with the pay periods, and it helps budget figure it out.
-Talk to HR. Use phrases like "hostile environment", "retaliatory actions against me", and "harassment with a sexual component."
-Talk to your supervisor/manager's boss as long as you feel like it will be productive. If they're both members of the same country club, went to school together, kids play together every Saturday you're wasting your time.
-Just shut up, take it, listen, and take copious notes. Write down everything that happens, with a date and time associated with it. When you go to HR, use the theatric device "I hold in my hand documentation of all of the aforementioned events." Remember that they can't force you to divulge the information unwillingly. Use your poker face and never give any more than required to get the outcome. Be sure they know that you've got something in reserve -- even if you don't.

If you feel like you're being singled out, you're protected, but if you even think for a second you may have brought all of the disciplinary actions on yourself by your own actions, don't bother fighting it, and find a new job. Better to leave and have your sanity than to leave because you're dodging some disciplinary action.

In case you're unfamiliar with the approach:
Joseph McCarthy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and in Julius Caesar:

Mark Antony uses a scroll in his speech to lead the crown to believe that he has and has read Caesar's will, and if he divulged the contents the crowd would "…go and kiss dead Caesar's wounds And dip their napkins in his sacred blood, Yea, beg a hair of him for memory, And, dying, mention it within their wills, Bequeathing it as a rich legacy Unto their issue."

I guess I'd always give my two weeks. Every job you've had will be contacted via background check regardless if you want the reference. You don't want to piss the guy off enough where he bad mouths you even when they're just asking if you worked there.

Better safe than sorry but any company with a corporate type structure will not comment on employment other than confirm dates of employment, for good fear of being sued. A family business may not have the sense to operate that way.

Back