Double Whammy

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
Jesus, what an interesting two days.

Basically it goes down like this.

Wednesday night:

I get a call from my friend saying that the company he works at just lost two workers, so they're strapped for people. Hating my job at Ingram, I'm going to go all over it. I decided Thursday that Friday I will be turning in my two week notice. I can't stand the job. you walk around all day picking books working your ass off only to be sent home 4 hours early, without pay. Most people enjoy this, but with my bills, I need my hours. It's been like this for 6 months, only furthing my dedication to getting the fuck out of there when an opportunity like this arises. The best part is I'm making just 33 cents less an hour starting out, but I'm guaranteed 40 hours a week. Something Ingram can never offer.

But wait... it gets even better!

Tonight: Brian and I went out to see a friend of ours we hadn't seen since last August. We get to the rec room and listen to her Karoake a few songs and have a good time. Midnight rolls around and I wanted to get some food so we head out, we run and get some Taco bell and roll back to my apartment. As I'm walking up to my door my cell phone starts to ring. I have a new VM, I check it and it's a driver at my other job, east of chicago pizza. I'm like uh.. ok and call her back.

(background info) A few weeks ago we were told that they might be closing the store due to it basically doing nothing but breaking even on sales. I figured ok, they'd give us a little bit of notification, maybe a week or two.

Boy was I way the fuck off. I call Ashley and she tells me that the last day the store is open for business is THIS saturday. Yes, TWO days away. wtf? They're giving 5 drivers and two managers TWO days to look for another place to work. There has GOT to be something I can report to the BBB about on this, that's just unprofessional. The sad part is I took Saturday night off to attend a friends college grad party. First day off I've taken in forever since I only worked sat and sunday for the past 8 months.

So now tomorrow when I go in for my interview, I'm going to go have to find another job. I'll probably try to find something in waitoring so I'm not expending money to make tips. That makes the profit margin benefit my wallet MUCH better.

Question for Jeffie: How much does a nice sit down restaurant start you at for a first time waitor?

Anyway, So here I am interviewing tomorrow for a new job and meanwhile I have to find another second job after being SCREWED over by EOC. I've given some of my best work to that place for the past year and a half, and this is how the owner treats his employees. Fuck Troy.

:cliffs:

read the fucking post, if you don't want to don't bother.

If you don't make enough at your other job, I'm pretty sure you qualify for unemployment. I used to work for KFC doing deliveries. You have the expierence, pizza isn't the only food that delivers. try some chinese food places, I worked for one that on average i took home $80 bucks in tips alone.

I've seen the people in my area KFC. I couldn't imagine driving to Their 'hood to drop off the biscuits and gravy. <shudder>

I know federal minimum is 2.13 for waiters, and when i worked at bennigans for like a month thats what i got paid.

Originally posted by B16RacerN2NR@Jun 17 2005, 03:36 AM
If you don't make enough at your other job, I'm pretty sure you qualify for unemployment. I used to work for KFC doing deliveries. You have the expierence, pizza isn't the only food that delivers. try some chinese food places, I worked for one that on average i took home $80 bucks in tips alone.
[post=513303]Quoted post[/post]​

I make enough, but I just scrape by with it. I don't think I can qualify since I still have the job and it's advertised as a full time job.

Sucks about the no notice on the job. I don't think there is anything the BBB can do about it. I worked for a Tilt and they give you no notice when they close. They just came in and said, "Hey, your closed." and shut the gates. I think a lot of businesses do that so as to avoid being ripped off. I mean in the arcades case I am sure even I would have been tempted to roll Tekken Tag out the door.

I deliver Chinese food and make pretty good money. I get $7.50/hr plus tips that I don't have to claim. I don't get any mileage but hey, I get $7.50/hr. Most delivery places in Iowa give ya $5.50. Also, since its a family business they are pretty damn cool. Sometimes I deliver in shorts and a wife beater if its hot. It helps my tips if I deliver to lonely house wives and college girls. :D

As far as the waiting/serving job I think most places start ya at like $3.30/hr approximately. Every serving job I or my woman have had that has been the case. My woman works for Texas Roadhouse and she makes mad loot. I know lots of people say that about this or that restaurant but in my case its true. These are our bills...$630 rent, $250 car payment, $150 insurance, $200 credit cards, ~ $250 other bills (cable, electric, etc.) + gas, food, entertainment.... She makes enough serving there to pay all that herself. She works like 4 days a week. I don't even have to work. Granted she is in the upper echelon of the restaurant. She gets closing shifts and stuff... but that doesn't effect her tips THAT much. Serving is good money, if you can stand it and you're a good server BUT... if you're a mediocre server I would just deliver. You'll probably get the same amount of tips on average + an hourly wage + you don't have to put up with jerks.
I delivered Pizza before i delivered Chinese food and I make way more now. I work 16hrs a week and make $800+ a month. Pretty easy for driving around listening to music.

Anyway, hope mu info helps. Sorry about your job and good luck!!

Depending on the business, they may not let you start off as a waiter. I know a few places locally make you start (if you have no experience) as a host/ess to learn how things work better prior to getting out on the floor with plates in your hands. At my family's place we pay the servers minimum wage (i think its 6.75 now) but they make way more with tips, so the base wage doesnt make too much a difference.

Sheesh. That sucks. hit up your local craigslist.org for parttime gigs and every single other pizza place.

i waited tables for outback steakhouse and i got 2.38 an hour :( but i made over 400 everyweek in tips. And i only worked 4 days a week.

Originally posted by Guy@Jun 17 2005, 09:13 AM
Depending on the business, they may not let you start off as a waiter. I know a few places locally make you start (if you have no experience) as a host/ess to learn how things work better prior to getting out on the floor with plates in your hands. At my family's place we pay the servers minimum wage (i think its 6.75 now) but they make way more with tips, so the base wage doesnt make too much a difference.
[post=513343]Quoted post[/post]​

Thats awesome to pay 6.75. I would make bank doing that. I already can clear $25 an hour just on tips, sometimes more and if I got an extra $6.75 an hour...

$2.13 an hour + tips is what I get for serving. Its law that if you average more than minumum wage (which is a mere $5.15 - national low - in New Jersey) with tips that they can pay you less than minumum. You start out at $2.13 at Macaroni Grill/Chilis and then get bumped a dollar once you're a "Green Towel" i.e., experienced server.

Now you have to understand that any privately owned restaurant is going to have an entirely different pay scale and pay policy than a franchised restaurant like the one I work at.

Private restaurants unless they're real ritzy usually have a more relaxed policy because they don't have to follow after corporate and there's less training to do. With that said, it may also be easier OR harder to find a job at a smaller, private restaurant...it all depends on the area. If you go to a franchised restaurant, you can count on making $100 a night if you're a "closing shift" (like 6-10pm) on any given weeknight, on a weekend at some places you can make anywhere from $100-300, especially if you're a "double" and work a lunch and dinner shift. I would recommend doing something like this for your first time serving gig or just a relaxed bar/longue/lake atmosphere private restaurant because its less demanding than a ritzy place. Remember, bars/smoking if you still have it where you live equates to great tips. I dislike smoking with a passion, but if I'm working the smoking section, I'm working it. They're usually far more social and tip better. Remember that when you look for a place to work.

Originally posted by YouKnowWhoIBee@Jun 17 2005, 12:18 PM
i waited tables for outback steakhouse and i got 2.38 an hour :( but i made over 400 everyweek in tips. And i only worked 4 days a week.
[post=513425]Quoted post[/post]​

Thats typical.

Very few places give the $6.15 an hour + tips, although I've heard of other states giving $10-12 an hour plus tips. Working on those wages full time, I could make a good 40-50k.

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene@Jun 17 2005, 01:21 PM
I dislike smoking with a passion, but if I'm working the smoking section, I'm working it. They're usually far more social and tip better. Remember that when you look for a place to work.
[post=513426]Quoted post[/post]​

smokers are way more fun :)

Well, bah. The guy wasn't in today so I didn't even get to interview, so I might be getting a call monday and if not I'll be making a call tuesday morning.

Meanwhile I'll be running to Pizza hut, papa johns and dominoes here in town for possible applications. (that's part of the reason EOC closed, 4 pizza places within 3 miles of each other and two non speciality restaurants with pizza)

I dunno. This has been a crazy past two days thus far. My only hope for a relaxing weekend is to take some money to Pieres and Shagrilah for some beer and tits.

:)

Originally posted by 2000Si@Jun 17 2005, 02:19 PM
Well, bah. The guy wasn't in today so I didn't even get to interview, so I might be getting a call monday and if not I'll be making a call tuesday morning.

Meanwhile I'll be running to Pizza hut, papa johns and dominoes here in town for possible applications. (that's part of the reason EOC closed, 4 pizza places within 3 miles of each other and two non speciality restaurants with pizza)

I dunno. This has been a crazy past two days thus far. My only hope for a relaxing weekend is to take some money to Pieres and Shagrilah for some beer and tits.

:)
[post=513467]Quoted post[/post]​

I wouldn't go to a pizza joint unless it has a good in-house dining area that people frequent, otherwise its going to be just like every other minimum wage bullshit job. Find a franchised restaurant if you can, ie. Ruby Tuesdays, Chilis, Macaroni Grill, Olive Garden, Outback, Applebees, TGI Fridays, etc and try to snag a job there. Even if you're just busing at one of those places, you're going to make an easy $50-100 a night.

Serving tonight I walked home after tipping everyone out with $165.

When I first got my Civic, I started delivering pizzas at Pizza Hut. As a closer I made $6/hr + tips. It usually equalled out to around $16-20/hr. Best part was that I didn't have to claim any tips!

Now I am a waiter at The Palm, a high end steak house. I had both bartending exp. and waiting exp at places like Bennigans.
I had to start out as a Server's Assistant, aka busser. I did that for about 2 yrs before becoming a barback. For the last year and a half I have been a server.
To start out as server at The Palm you must have alot of exp in "Fine Dining"!!
I now make $40,000 a year waiting tables!

It is hard to get a good waiter job without exp.
Unless you know someone who works there, that ALWAYS helps.

Back