Dumped and blowing shocks?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

FLounder

power hungry
VIP
So i was thinking about dumping my car to the ground, for some pictures and a local car meet that is coming up. It will only be temporary. The thing im worried about is blowing my shocks out. I put 4 new KYB AGXs on the car when i got it a couple years ago... still less than 2000 miles on them now so they are like new, and i dont want to ruin them. I want to put the oil pan about 1" from the pavement, tucking all 4 tires.

So the question is, will riding around for maybe 50 miles or less damage the shocks? i figure i should put them all at the firmest setting, and i will be very careful while driving.

it wont blow the shocks.. but it'll wear them out faster .. blown shocks leak.. worn shocks is what everyone calls blown

So i was thinking about dumping my car to the ground, for some pictures and a local car meet that is coming up. It will only be temporary. The thing im worried about is blowing my shocks out. I put 4 new KYB AGXs on the car when i got it a couple years ago... still less than 2000 miles on them now so they are like new, and i dont want to ruin them. I want to put the oil pan about 1" from the pavement, tucking all 4 tires.

So the question is, will riding around for maybe 50 miles or less damage the shocks? i figure i should put them all at the firmest setting, and i will be very careful while driving.

Its a bad plan. Did you leave the factory length bump stops in, and uncut? If you did, you won't over extend the AGXs and they should be ok. I think they'll be fine for pimping around on smooth pavement, but if you hit a pothole or something at speed with zero suspension you WILL do some damage. Shock/suspension/frame, something will give.

IMO, dont drive that way.. bring a small jack and a 2x4 and adjust when you get there.. you'll be fine if you do it that way

Back