Ecu "clicking" then burned Help!!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Blakakura

H22a swap in a 97 civic. I put the ecu in and turned the key and all i got was a "click". So i thought mabey the battery was just low. Grabbed some jumper cables and tried again. All i got a was a click from the starter and an even louder click from the ecu. Engine didnt turn at all. Then i get the wonderfull smell of something burning, pulled the cover of the ecu and it was all burnt up. Any ideas of what went wrong?

Is it an OBD1 H22?

Im willing to bet you jumped a perfectly good battery and didnt have your ignition coded for the immobolizer.

where was the click coming from?? the main relay area (under your steering wheel) or under the hood?

i had the same problem a couple of weeks ago man.....my battery was dead and i tried to to start my car off of the little bit of energy in the battery and wound up burning up my starter motor. the clicking noise your hearing is one of the relays under the dash either the main fuel relay or one of the 3 fuse relay on the bottom fuse cluster under the dash. all in all....make sure u dont try to start you car when u hear the clicking. i learned the hard way and tried to start it off of like 5% battery life. it cranked for about 2 seconds and then began to make a repeated clicking noise and the my starter made a wierd noise and never worked again

What part of the ECU was burnt up?

Quoted post[/post]]
H22a swap in a 97 civic. I put the ecu in and turned the key and all i got was a "click". So i thought mabey the battery was just low. Grabbed some jumper cables and tried again. All i got a was a click from the starter and an even louder click from the ecu. Engine didnt turn at all. Then i get the wonderfull smell of something burning, pulled the cover of the ecu and it was all burnt up. Any ideas of what went wrong?

Quoted post[/post]]
What part of the ECU was burnt up?

Quoted post[/post]]

Sorry, ive been trying to login for a week or so and it wont, so i reged a new account. Anyways heres a pic of what burned.

crispy8ya.jpg

Weird, that sucks...I have had the main relay go crazy and freak me out when I switched bins with the engine running, but thank god I never burned anything up. that sucks.

Back